Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About to Start Ubuntu

I know Ubuntu is the simplest and easiest distro, and I have used the live cd and played with the full installed version that my grandfather installed on his PC, so I know I can operate it. But, I refuse to just use it, I am fine with it being for everyone but I want to learn how to use the terminal and really play with it. I admit, I am not an expert, but I am eager to learn how to use Linux effectively.

My first question is: I know Ubuntu is open-source, but where is it's source? I hear people speak about how you can code it and all that but what do they mean?

Quote:I know Ubuntu is the simplest and easiest distro, and I have used the live cd and played with the full installed version that my grandfather installed on his PC, so I know I can operate it. But, I refuse to just use it, I am fine with it being for everyone but I want to learn how to use the terminal and really play with it. I admit, I am not an expert, but I am eager to learn how to use Linux effectively.  

My first question is: I know Ubuntu is open-source, but where is it's source? I hear people speak about how you can code it and all that but what do they mean?

First of all, it's great to hear that you're interested in learning how to use Linux!

The source code is freely available for everyone to download, look at, play with, change and make their own versions of it (provided they allow everyone else to do the same as well). The main site for the source code is Ubuntu Archive.

However, if you're interested in building applications for Ubuntu, it might be worth starting by installing it, popping the developer tools on and having a play around with them and getting to know them first.

If you want to learn the command line, the best way is to check out some tutorials, learn how to do the basic things and build up from there. A useful way of doing this is by setting yourself challenges, i.e. make yourself perform a particular task only using the command line. This forces you to learn stuff and then slowly you build up your knowledge. We'll be happy to help you out with learning that here, so check out the dedicated sections of the forums for that sort of thing.

If you are wanting to learn how to use the terminal, then check out this nice collection of links that the ubuntuforums put together.

Quote:My first question is: I know Ubuntu is open-source, but where is it's source? I hear people speak about how you can code it and all that but what do they mean?

Ubuntu is a distribution (distro) of a Linux based Operating System. It is built by a whole ton of developers all over the world that come together, adding patches (fixes of bugs etc) introducing completely new ideas etc. This not only goes on with distros but also with smaller packages that make up the parts of distros.

coreutils source > coreutils.deb > ubuntu

gcc source ----> gcc.deb -----------^

Of course its a back and forth production, people using ubuntu find bugs which are then reported back the way to original developers (also called "upstream").

This process is repeated all over the world with all the various distributions of Linux.

I will agree with hybrid, start small, develop some of your own utilities or packages. For instance if you find a utility that doesn't have an Ubuntu package, make one, release it for others to enjoy it. Also I will say this, expect failures, beginning to develop code is a tough process.

You can always ask questions here, a few of our users will be involved in the process and can assist you.

Enjoy! ;)