Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media/File Server

Quote: Wrote a few simple scripts for auto-starting VNC and Serviio.
Those can usually be started as a service. Look into the "chkconfig" command to see if you can set them to start at specific run-levels.

you can just run the command

Code:
runlevel

and it will show what runlevel you are in then you can use the chkconfig command that Dungeon-Dave mentioned to configure it to boot when booted in that runevel.

example my runlevel for my server is 3. So you could then do the following if you wanted vnc to startup on runlevel 3.

Code:
chkconfig --levels 3 vnc on

Code:
man chkconfig

shows more detailed info about the command

Quote:Those can usually be started as a service. Look into the "chkconfig" command to see if you can set them to start at specific run-levels.

I will give it a shot and let you know. Thanks I have never set any auto start except with scripts.

Quote:you can just run the command

Code:
runlevel

<div>
and it will show what runlevel you are in then you can use the chkconfig command that Dungeon-Dave mentioned to configure it to boot when booted in that runevel.

example my runlevel for my server is 3. So you could then do the following if you wanted vnc to startup on runlevel 3.

Code:
chkconfig --levels 3 vnc on

Code:
man chkconfig

shows more detailed info about the command

</div>

I am in runlevel 2, which I just found out is the default in Debian. I will have to chkconfig and see what is currently listed and add vnc if necessary. At this point I have webmin installed and while it may be a simple interface and easy to configure, I would really like to know exactly what it is doing and possibly just use the command line or vnc as needed.

I know there are simple packages out there to do what I am wanting with this server but I am a die hard tweaker. And I want to be able to set this up the way I want.

I really appreciate the assistance and information. When I get home tomorrow I will check everything and see where I stand.

If I were you and you reall want to learn, I'd just stick to only command line. The more you force yourself to use command line the more you get used to it and the more you learn how to use it and what to use. And learning to setup your server how you want is all about planning, researching, learning your mistakes and ofcourse, the forums for posting when you get stuck on something. It takes time to get to your final piece of work, it's easier to look at a server as a project, adding bits at a time until you reach your wanted end result.