Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wine doesnt work.
i went to the package manager and installed wine and it all went fine but when i open an .exe file the window comes up and i see the outline but thats it. it wont do anything else.

Quote:i went to the package manager and installed wine and it all went fine but when i open an .exe file the window comes up and i see the outline but thats it. it wont do anything else.

Try this - open up a terminal window (Applications > Accessories under GNOME). Type wine followed by a space in there (don't press enter yet) and then drag the exe from the file browser into the terminal window and press paste when asked.

Now press enter.

Does anything happen now?

(Also, it would be helpful for next time if you could tell us what distribution you are using - Ubuntu, Fedora, for example and which version it is, so that we can try and make instructions as specific as possible. Thanks!)

well im using fedora core 6.

when i open it in the terminal i get this output.

fixme:process:IsWow64Process (0xffffffff 0x33fe84) stub!

Under Applications, Wine, Wine Configuration; I added: FantasyGrounds.exe and FantasyGroundsPatchFull-1.05c.exe.

How do I get them to run?

FWI my Wine version is 0.9.58 and Fedora fc9 Core 2

Quote:Try this - open up a terminal window (Applications > Accessories under GNOME). Type wine followed by a space in there (don't press enter yet) and then drag the exe from the file browser into the terminal window and press paste when asked.

Now press enter.

Does anything happen now?

When I go through Applications > Accessories there is no Gnome. It lists:

Archive Manager

Calculator

Character Map

Dasher

Dictionary

Take Screenshoot

Text Editor

I tried the Text Editor and followed your instructions. That did not work. I there, maybe, a way through the Terminal to do it?

Bakshara

Quote:Try this - open up a terminal window
Quote:maybe, a way through the Terminal to do it?
Yup.

Here is what I did and the result:

[root@localhost ~]# wine /media/LinuxSwitch/Web Site/dlfiles/FantasyGrounds.exe

It gave me, "wine: cannot find '/media/LinuxSwitch/Web'" How do I deal with folders that have a space in them?

Bakshara

To deal with folders that have a space (or other special characters that the shell may be confused by), encase the whole path with quotes:

Code:
wine "/media/LinuxSwitch/Web Site/dlfiles/FantasyGrounds.exe"

(Alternatively, you can 'escape' the space by placing a backslash in front of it. This might be helpful if there are only a small number of problematic characters, and you've already started typing and don't want to go back and put the opening quote:

Code:
wine /media/LinuxSwitch/Web\ Site/dlfiles/FantasyGrounds.exe

)

Thank you I did that. I have now listed FantasyGrounds 1.0 on WineHQ as Garbage. It went through the install phase. Before it got to the part were it asks for the Reg-code, it crashed! I was planning on then doing the FantasyGrounds 1.05 upgrade.