Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I install fedora 6 kernel source w/o internet

Woo Hoo!

I downloaded and installed fedora 6 in a dual boot mode with (the mainstream OS that shall not be named), and most everything is working. My biggest problem is in getting a driver for my linksys wusb11 v2.6 wireless adapter running. I have found and downloaded the Sourceforge driver for the device, but the installation instructions require a kernel rebuild. Therein lies the problem...

I don't think any of the kernel source is installed with the standard fedora 6 installation. I found instructions for installing the source on the fedora web site, but it assumes you have a working fedora internet connection and can use yum (ever read catch 22?). I know that I could get this done if I had a wired internet connection on this machine, but my goal is to do this installation without spending a dime, so I don't want to go buy a network card for this computer (I understand that they are cheap, but I will learn more doing it my way).

How can I install the kernal source stuff on fedora 6 without a working internet connection on the fedora machine? I have another computer (with the unmetionable OS) that I can use to download whatever I need and put it on CD, I just don't know where to get what I need and how to install it once I do get it.

I would also much appreciate it if you could point me to a good resource for instructions on rebuilding the kernel (for a noob). Haven't done Unix stuff in about 10 years, so I'm pretty rusty.

Thanks,

Shannon

If you can get internet from another machine and download the RPM files onto say a USB/CD drive. Then you could do:

Code:
cd /mnt/cdrom  (or usb etc)
rpm -ivh *.rpm

Of course the difficult with this is, that if you need extra dependencies .. you will need to continue to go and download more etc.

it would be much easier if you connect your WIRED internet (the one that's going into your wireless router/modem) to your dual boot machine, purely to download whatever fedora needs via yum

in addition you could then pop onto IRC while in fedora and seek help from us live (EFNET join #linux-noob )

cheers

anyweb

Thanks for your help and suggestions! Here is what I ended up doing. I determined that loading the kernel source was an option I did not select when I had installed fedora core 6, so I decided to wipe that partition and re-install with all options. Now, I have the source and a lot of cool development tools to play with. Now, my next challenge is in figuring out how to load the wireless driver. No luck so far, but I'm the persistent type, so I'll sure I'll get it sooner or later.

I'm having so much fun, I think I'll set up my new laptop dual boot. If I can get everything to work well, I might wipe and go pure linux. It's wonderful to have choices!

Shannon