Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you guys please help me ditch Windows?

I have been fed up with windows for quite a while now. When it works it works great, but it only works for about 2 months before I have to re-format [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif[/img] . I have Ubuntu on my laptop and I love it, it just plain works. There are a few things that prevent me from completely switching from windows and I was wondering if people could point me to some programs that are similar. I am currently not savvy enough to mess with WINE, so I would like to find Linux alternatives instead of running windows programs through WINE. I will make a short list of programs that I need and hopefully someone can suggest some programs that are similar in Linux.

1) FlashFXP (needs TLS, SSL, Implicit SSL)

2) WinRAR

3) QuickSFV

4) Blowfish encryption for X-chat or other IRC client is also something i need to function.

I can't think of any others currently, but FlashFXP is a big one. I really need that and that is the big thing that is preventing me from switching. Any and all comments are welcome, thanks for the help.

flashfxp is perfectly possible as long as you use the older version (2.1) in wine,

see here > [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=1236][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=1236]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1236

cheers

anyweb

Hi,

I am pretty sure gFTP supports SSL and TLS. WinRAR is available for linux from winrars website

Quote:I have been fed up with windows for quite a while now. When it works it works great, but it only works for about 2 months before I have to re-format [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif[/img] . I have Ubuntu on my laptop and I love it, it just plain works. There are a few things that prevent me from completely switching from windows and I was wondering if people could point me to some programs that are similar. I am currently not savvy enough to mess with WINE, so I would like to find Linux alternatives instead of running windows programs through WINE. I will make a short list of programs that I need and hopefully someone can suggest some programs that are similar in Linux.1) FlashFXP (needs TLS, SSL, Implicit SSL)

2) WinRAR

3) QuickSFV

4) Blowfish encryption for X-chat or other IRC client is also something i need to function.

I can't think of any others currently, but FlashFXP is a big one. I really need that and that is the big thing that is preventing me from switching. Any and all comments are welcome, thanks for the help.

1) FlashFXP - can work directly under Wine as anyweb suggested. Linux alternatives are KftpGrabber / Kasablanca (both of which claim to be "flashfxp clones").

2) WinRAR - well once rar is installed, you will find that File Roller / KArchiver, etc will have support for that filetype.

3) QuickSFV, well you can use md5sum / sha1sum .. lots of programs in Linux use those, much as such.

4) Blowfish encryption for XChat / IRC client - FISH can add that support.

Hope that helps. I did another topic with a similar type of questions :)

cksfv