Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how do i get firefox to play videos via mplayer plugin

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="9806" data-ipsquote-username="DanBE" data-cite="DanBE" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2642" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This setup doesn't work for me...

Well see the protocol handler's are for streaming data therefore it expects something like: mms://some/url/here/file.wmv

Most likely you have a: [/url]http://some/url/here/file.wmv

So what I will suggest you try installing the mplayer plugin for firefox (and removing totem!).

to add the mplayer plugin see this post (scroll down to point 4.) [url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2533][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2533]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2533

</div></blockquote>
Thank you very much for your answer.

- Indeed, it is a [/url][url=http://www.x.com/y.wmv]http://www.x.com/y.wmv link

- For the streaming protocol (mms), I have installed the MediaPlayerConnectivity Firefox extension

- It works for most of the streaming links...

- When I *left* click on a video link (.mpeg or .wmv), Firefox offers me only to open it with Totem (default)

- If I *right* click on the link, I can play the video file with the player of my choice, thru the MediaPlayerConnectivity option

- How can I change the Firefox *left* click (default) to Kaffeine or mPlayer or MediaPlayerConnectivity ?

- or add them to the 'Open with' list ?

- >>I will suggest you try installing the mplayer plugin for firefox<<

--- No incompatibility between the mplayer plugin and the MediaPlayerConnectivity/mplayer extension ?

- >>(and removing totem!)<<

--- from Firefox? How?

--- from the installed programs? Why?

WHAT I would like to know is WHERE the default video player link for Firefox is stored !!!

TIA for your help.

DanBE

Mandriva 2006/KDE/Firefox

Quote:I will suggest you try installing the mplayer plugin for firefox<<- No incompatibility between the mplayer plugin and the MediaPlayerConnectivity/mplayer extension ?

and removing totem!

- from Firefox? How?

- from the installed programs? Why?

(1) To see the default applications that work by left click do this:
  • Edit > Preferences

• Content > Click on Manage

• Search for 'wmv' > Click Change Action

• Select "Open with default" which is set normally by Desktop Manager or "Open with this application" to browse to your own or "Save" to automatically save the file or "Use this Plugin" (if it exists!) plugins need to identify the types they support before they turn up here.

(2) You should be able to run to extensions alongside one another even if they are responsible for the same types as the above can shift which one you want to look after it.

(3) Removing Totem from firefox involves using method (1) from above.

(4) From installed programs, mainly because Totem is not very good at what it does and there is better out there (gmplayer for one, xine too!).

Quote:(1) To see the default applications that work by left click do this:
  • Edit > Preferences

• Content > Click on Manage

Thanks again.

Sorry, but there is no "Manage" button in Edit-> Preferences-> Content

My Firefox is 1.5 and in French, but I don't think that it does matter...

However, in Edit-> Preferences-> Download, I have a "Show and Modify Actions..." button.

But, the "Download actions" list is empty...

How does Firefox know that it has to use Totem to show .WMV files ???

Quote:(3) Removing Totem from firefox involves using method (1) from above.
Obviously, this can't work... :-)Somebody told me that I have to remove the Totem plugin from the Mozilla/Firefox/Plugins directory.

But I can't find this plugin...

Quote:(4) From installed programs, mainly because Totem is not very good at what it does and there is better out there (gmplayer for one, xine too!).
I don't know why Totem was ever installed... by Firefox, I guess...

I usually use (g)mplayer, or sometimes Kaffeine...

DanBE

What I did:

1) remove Totem from the system (with Mandriva Control Center)

Now, when I left click, in Firefox, on a .MPEG (or .WMV) link, the only option is:

Save this file on disk

2) install the mplayer-plug-in (with Mandriva Control Center)

mplayerplugin-3.11-1mdk

After that, the only option is still:

Save this file on disk

3) I am completely lost !!!

NB: if I RIGHT click on the link, then on the MediaPlayerConnectivity item in the drop down Menu, I can select to play the file in gmplayer...

DanBE

Good news !

After a reboot, a click on a .WMV/.MPEG link in FireFox does now launch mplayer !

Thank you all for your help !

DanBE

Phew .. I was just about to say "I think you did it all right" .. hehe!

Glad its working

Quote:Phew .. I was just about to say "I think you did it all right" .. hehe! 

Glad its working
znx,

And what about Thunderbird ?

Since I replaced OOo 1.5 with OOo 2.1, Thunderbird does not know anymore how to open ms-word documents (.doc), or offers to open them with KWord, on the machines where OOffice is installed.

I have to save the document; I can then open it in Konqueror.

How could I force Thunderbird to respect the system settings, or change the Thunderbird (Default) for opening .doc, and populate the choices of "Open with:": KWord, Aboword, ooWrite, etc... ?

Quote:You can use a similar method to have firefox open lots of different applications for various different protocols (say mailto: opening your preferred mail client, etc).
Where could i find documentation on these parameters in Firefox OR in Thunderbird ?

TIA for your help.

DanBE

Linux Mandriva 2006/KDE/Thunderbird 1.5

For opening protocols within TB its actually the same technique as Firefox:

"Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor (button)" (which is same as about:config under Firefox) then add the network.protocol-handler. Documentation and example

For altering a default application its slightly different, again documentation is available on mozillazine. Which does it better than I can tell you here :)If you are interested in handling the configuration files manually then you can look at this piece of documentation that describes the "mimeTypes.rdf" file (although it says "Firefox", TB uses the same type of file).

Hope that helps?