Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel Pro 2200 Wireless / IBM R50e / Mandriva 2007 Free

Hello everybody in Forum Land. I am a NEWBIE to Linux. Have just installed 'Mandriva 2007 FREE' on my IBM R50e. I am VERY impressed and am asking myself why I have relied on Microsoft for so long. I think I will become a convertee!

Anyway, everything seems to work except my wireless connection. Its an INTEL PRO2200 adapter. The system recognises it but says maiising firmware.

I have downloaded the ipw2200-fw-3.0 folder from the intel site, it contains these 4 files...

ipw2200-bss.fw

ipw2200-ibsss.fw

ipw2200-sniffer.fw

LICENSE.ipw2200-fw

I believe these to be the firmware files which need to be installed somewhere?

So,

1 - are these the firmware files I need?

2 - how do I install them?

Please help, and accept my apologies if its obvious and I'm being stupid.

Many thanks

ALGOZ

you generally put them in /lib/modules

Quote:you generally put them in /lib/modules

Hello Hijinks...

Silly question, but do I have to open a console. My file manager says I don't have permission to drag and drop!

Am I being stupid?

Thanks

Algoz

Actually, I can't even do a mkdir using the terminal - again permissions don't allow me.

HELP HELP HELP

Thanks

Alan

Quote:Silly question, but do I have to open a console. My file manager says I don't have permission to drag and drop! 

Actually, I can't even do a mkdir using the terminal - again permissions don't allow me.

HELP HELP HELP

These directories will be owned by the "superuser" (a.k.a. root). You won't have permissions as a normal user to do this. Think like the administrator on a Windows machine, you don't have the ability to install as a user, only as admin.

What you will need to do, is open the file manager but as root, rather than as your user.

Under KDE (look for the K start button):

Press Alt+F2 key. This will bring up a box and type: kdesu kfm -sw This should prompt for a password (this is your root password) and then you will have a file manager open as root. You should then be capable of moving the files around.

Under Gnome (look for the Foot start button):

Press Alt+F2 (I think? do Menu -> Run otherwise). You want to type: gnomesu nautilus in its Run box. Again prompt for the password.

Hope that helps. I should point out that this is intentionally under Linux, there is lots of things you cannot do until you request it specifically. Yay security!

did you read this howto [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2001][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2001]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2001

it covers installing the very same wireless adaptor (intel pro 2200) and how to load the firmware etc

cheers

anyweb

Quote:did you read this howto [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2001][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2001]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2001 

it covers installing the very same wireless adaptor (intel pro 2200) and how to load the firmware etc

cheers

anyweb

Dear anyweb...

I did look at that and tried to download the drivers and the insall files, but they're no longer available. IS there a reason for that, and can you put them back up please.

All that code stuff scares me, but not to the point of paralysis, but you do say quite strongly to folow the instructions in the install file,

(As for finding the Foot Start Menu, couldn't find a Foot anywhere. Alt-F2 brings up a run 'window' but gnomesu nautilus' did nothing)

Again, amd VERY sorry for not being adept at this, but am a NEWBIE and have spent far too long cosetted by other OS's. I LOVE the linux ethos and really want to make it work for me!

Please don't give up on me!

Thanks

Alan

As a side issue, I tried SUSE 10.1 and the damn thing worked. The main reason for trying mandriva was to play Commercial DVDs... which I managed to do under MANDRIVA 2007 FREE.

Maybe I should re-install SUSE?

Any comments?

Alan

I tried to RUN gnomesu nautilus in the Run Application (I changed the theme to Gnome Desktop instead of the Mandriva one and there was the Foot Start Button - I told you I was newbie).

The reuslt was Could not open location 'file:///gnomesu nautilus' Unknown error code: 1

So am really back to sqaure 1!

BUT: I REALLY WAN TO MAKE THIS WORK!

Thanks for all the help so far.

Alan

Hello All

S U C C E S S - I T W O R K S

:)

Here's what I did...

1 - open up a terminal (a bit scary, but then I figured if I typed things wrongly, chances are that the command lane would not recognise the command, so there was little risk in having a go)

2 - type su and hit [return] . The system then asked for my root password which I typed in and again hit [return]

3 - typed in cp /home/alan/Desktop/ipw2200-fw-3.0/* /lib/firmware/ and hit [return]

4 - went to the Mandriva Linux Comtrol Center 2007.0

5 - Choose the Hardware option

6 - Run config tool for Wireless

and it all just worked!........

for those reading this for reference, I think the following is correct

- get the drivers from intel's linux support website

- I saved them to the desktop afer extracting them

To all of those who helped and gave me the confidence - THANK YOU

To all of you who are considering LINUX - just do it!

Alan