Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with mplayer

Right - maybe this is due to me messing around with the ATi X driver before noticing the FC6 script, but I did the yum-install of mplayer (using the instructions from this site) and unfortunately it seems not to want to play ball...

Launching from the applications menu gets nowhere, so I thought "ah, probably segfaulting or something equallly as irritating" so launched it from the console - and get the following error:

"mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied"

I'm pretty much full time windows so I'm really none the wiser on this - the reason I think I've broken something installing the ATi drivers without the FC6 tweaks is because it references to libGL, which I presume may be part of either the ATi distro or something to do with FC6 which I have now buggered!

Anyone shed any light? I was logged in as root when I got the error, I've yet to try it as a standard user.

Cheers :)

Quote:Anyone shed any light? I was logged in as root when I got the error, I've yet to try it as a standard user. 

Cheers :)

From what I can guess, I think this may well be something to do with the ATi driver. Unfortuantely, owning no ATi cards myself, I can't verify this.

Running mplayer as root works for me, but I'm using livna's kmod-nvidia with a Geforce 6600 GT.

Could you run this command so we can possibly get more info about this issue?

Code:
$ ls -lh /usr/lib | grep GL

are you using FCR6 32 bit or 64bit ? as the article for installing mplayer was directed at 32 bit...

cheers

anyweb

I'm running it 32bit (amd athlon 3000xp)... as the system was nigh-on virgin, I've done a quick reinstall of it and I'm about to reinstall the packages...

ls -lh /usr/lib | grep GL on my virgin system returns

Code:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    10 Oct 30 19:55 libGL.so -> libGL.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    12 Oct 30 19:49 libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  423K Sep 30 22:53 libGL.so.1.2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    11 Oct 30 19:56 libGLU.so -> libGLU.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    20 Oct 30 19:50 libGLU.so.1 -> libGLU.so.1.3.060501
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  512K Sep 30 22:53 libGLU.so.1.3.060501

I'll reinstall the packages, see if it works on the standard FC6 X drivers, then do the *proper* ATi install (with tweaks this time!) and report back :)

Cheers!

ok, done all the steps bar the ATi drivers, and mplayer now starts up - ls -lh /usr/lib | grep GL shows:

Code:

mplayer won't play any streamed MP3 playlists though (www.di.fm in particular) - I can sort that out later though... now for the ATi installation!

arg - now the ATi installation bombs out with

Code:
Generating package: custom-package/FC6
./packages/custom-package/ati-packager.sh: line 195: /etc/profile.d/qt.sh: No such file or directory
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

bugger and feck :( nothing is simple!!!

success - to get the phoronix script working on virgin FC6, first do

Code:
yum -y install qt-devel

that will allow it to build the rpm's, now to install them!

right - rather than append this, i'll do a bit of a walkthrough to install the ATi drivers on FC6

1 - download the ATi driver version 8.29.6 from www.ati.com

2 - download the patching script for the ATi drivers from [/url][url=http://www.phoronix.com/redblog/downloads/...96-generator.sh]http://www.phoronix.com/redblog/downloads/...96-generator.sh

3 - open a terminal and type

Code:
su
yum -y install kernel-devel qt-devel compat-libstdc++-33

4 - when all that is finished, type

Code:
sh fglrx-fc6-8296-generator.sh

5 - let it do it's thing, when it's finished, type

Code:
rpm -ivh kernel-module*

6 - then type

Code:
rpm -ivh ATI*

7 - then type

Code:
gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

8 - append the following text to the bottom of the xorg.conf file

Code:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

9 - reboot (or restart X, whichever is easiest) and when everything comes back up, launch a terminal, and type

Code:
fireglcontrolpanel

and it should show up that the ATi driver is installed and happy... still doesn't let you enable desktop effects though :(

mplayer seems to have vanished from the face of X though - you can still call it from the terminal but the link to mplayer has dissapeared ... further investigation needed methinks!

(also, for the sake of completeness - here is an output of ls -lh /usr/lib | grep GL

Code:

no changes at all... strange!

(most of this info was rehashed from the phoronix site at www.phoronix.com - I just added the specific commands I used in order to get it up and running - hope it helps someone, usual stuff applies, your mileage may vary and no responsibility is taken for harming your install of FC6! :))