Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nvidia Display problems after update

I was having trouble playing videos tonight, so I thought I would run an update make sure everything was cool. Update said there was updates so I installed those and then ctrl+alt+backspace and it said X was messed up. Here is the info I have.

xorg-x11-server 1.3.0.0-37.fc8

NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!

Sceen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

here is what yum installed

Dec 23 19:16:47 Updated: kmod-nvidia - 169.07-1.lvn8.x86_64

Dec 23 19:16:53 Updated: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia - 169.07-1.lvn8.x86_64

Dec 23 19:17:00 Updated: kmod-nvidia-2.6.23.9-85.fc8 - 169.07-1.lvn8.x86_64

My resolution is bad, and the text is quite blurry making googling and even wrting this post difficult to read.

I am lost. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Okay so Reboot one still gave me the same error and asked me if I wanted to try to fix the problem.

Reboot 2 seemed to allow the nvidia driver to work properly again and I regained my proper resolution, however, the fonts were all messed up and impossible to read. So I started to go to change the font, System>Preferences>Look and Feel>Appearance and when I clicked on Appearance all of a sudden my fonts shifted and became the last font without me even clicking on the fonts tab. I thought that was kind of odd behavior, but It worked.

if you are using nvidia's drivers instead of the ones that fedora provides then when you update the kernel, you must reinstall the nvidia drivers again to bind them to the new kernel,

this sounds like what has happened to you, so can you confirm if you are using nvidias drivers ?

Quote:if you are using nvidia's drivers instead of the ones that fedora provides then when you update the kernel, you must reinstall the nvidia drivers again to bind them to the new kernel, 

this sounds like what has happened to you, so can you confirm if you are using nvidias drivers ?

I have only ever used the nvidia drivers from fedora and livna, via yum. I have never installed something from nvidia, afaik.

Okay still no luck solving this issue. Everytime I reboot I have to change the screen resolution from 800X600 to 1024X1768.

When I use Nvidia Display settings to try to save the new settings to my xorg.conf I get this error:

Unable to remove old X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'

both /etc/X11/xorg.conf and xorg.conf.backup and 644 and owned by root.

I tried rebooting into runlevel 3 and running system-config-display --reconfig

and I got this error

Window manager warning: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on display' :17.0

and booting back into runlevel 5 gives me the same bad resolution bs.