Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to linux need advice
was woundering waht live cd distro is a good starting point to test drive linux befor i do a full install on my laptop then if i like the way it works ill teach my grilfriend how to use it and loadit on my desktop any advice would be great

knoppix live CD is a great one to try, and ubuntu do a live cd also,

however, if you want to install a user friendly linux OS (dual boot) then go for something well supported and user friendly like Fedora Core Release 5 or Suse 10.1

cheers

anyweb

Yeah Knoppix is probably the best live CD going (a live cd means you don't need to install anything it all runs off the CD directly!). Of course live CDs will always run a lot slower than a hard disk install because the information can't get off the CD quick enough ;)

Ubuntu's live CD is really nice too, it gives you a great example of what you WILL get when you install it on the hard disk. Ubuntu is currently one of the most popular Debian based distros. Defn. a good distro for a noob.

OpenSuSe has been huge recently and it can really show some power GUI stuff but maybe isn't the perfect laptop distro.

Fedora is by far the most recommended around here, it is a great distro to use! Another noob friendly one.

There is a huge choice of distros out there but those 4 are the best starting point for new users.

ok cool thank you for the info guys im waiting for my memory to arive for my laptop should be this monday, and ill give it a go ill prolly just do a full swap over so i get the full taste of lynix, were is the best place to download the Fedora and whats the best distro of it