Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
switches and routers

I'd like to set up a network in which I have a web server hooked up to the internet, and then a bunch of other machines on an "internal" Gigabit network which do not have access to the internet (I'm trying to set up a database cluster). So it goes something like this:

cable modem

|

router

|

web server

|

Gb switch

|

DB1 ...

Unfortunately, the switch doesn't seem to work unless I also hook it up to the router (the ethernet card in DB1 doesn't initialize). I have the feeling I'm fundamentally not grokking something here - do I need a router instead of a switch? All networking hardware is NetGear (GA311 cards, ProSafe VPN firewall, GS608 switch), and I'm using RedHat FC5. Any thoughts?

One more note - I haven't hooked the web server to the switch yet. I thought I'd try to get the switch working first. Would this make a difference?

Daniel

why not just connect the webserver direct to the adsl modem, and only have port 80 open via iptables.

that way its internet connected and everything after it (router+switch) can do whatever you wish

This is a development setup - the production setup is actually something like:

router (the hosting company controls this)

|

hardware firewall

|

load balancer

|

web server 1 ....

|

switch

|

DB1 ...

So, I'm trying to understand what the final setup is going to be like, without "cheating" on my local config.