Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need clickwheel advice, please

Going on this webpage, here:

[/url][url=http://katze-mit-wut.azundris.com/archives...-and-x.org.html]http://katze-mit-wut.azundris.com/archives...-and-x.org.html

I follow his instructions as best I can, and here is what I did:

I changed my xorg.conf mouse section to this:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse[1]"

Driver "evdev"

Option "Buttons" "11"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7 5 4"

Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"

Option "Dev Name" "Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0A"

Option "Dev Phys" "usb-0000:00:10.4-4.4/input0"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

EndSection

Then I put this in my xinitrc in /etc/X11/xinit:

imwheel -k -b "8967"

Then, in imwheelrc in my home directory, I addded these lines to the latest stable version of imwheel that I configured and installed:

"screen"

Control_L, Button5, Control_L|a|n

Control_L, Button4, Control_L|a|p

None, Left, Control_L|a|n

None, Right, Control_L|a|p

I *didn't* add these lines he instructed his readers to do, because I thought that it had to do with making the forward and back buttons 4 and 5 NOT work as forward and back, but as button 2, which I didn't want:

".*"

None, Button5, Button2

None, Button4, Button2

Control_L, Button5, Alt_L|Left

Control_L, Button4, Alt_L|Right

Shift_L, Button5, Button1|Home

Shift_L, Button4, Button1|End

Guys, do you think that I should have used some of those lines, say the bottom four?

Then I added the following lines to ~/.xemacs/init.el

;; mouse-wheel: scroll

(global-set-key 'button4 'scroll-down-command)

(global-set-key 'button5 'scroll-up-command)

;; tilt-wheel: go to previous/next buffer

;; ERC (emacs Internet Relay Chat) users may prefer binding

;; erc-track-switch-buffer

(global-set-key 'button6 'switch-to-previous-buffer)

(global-set-key 'button7 'switch-to-next-buffer)

at the end

then, finally, I added this to the end of imwheelrc:

"[Gg]aleon(-bin)?"

None, Left, Control_L|Page_Up

None, Right, Control_L|Page_Down

Plus I went into firefox and about:config and changed the mousewheel.horizscroll setting, only the

mousewheel.horizscroll.withcontrolkey.sysnumlines to true

Now, after doing those things, I can scroll but when I click the forward and back buttons (4 and 5 thumb buttons) it scolls up or down by a few lines with each depress, instead of going forward and back, and using the tilt function of the mousewheel makes Firefox go back and forward webpages I have browsed.

Can anyone suggest anything, I think I am getting closer here, but I am a bit confused, he talks about how:

So our thumb-buttons (8,9) are (4,5) inside imwheel

And,

Since 8,9 in X are 4,5 inside of imwheel, they're 6,7 inside of xemacs. Sure, we could make a special case for xemacs in ~/.imwheelrc, but just for practice, here goes (~/.xemacs/init.el snippet):

So I am under the impression that the different programs see the mouse buttons as being different numbers, and what I think is worse is that with SuSE 10.1 things got mixed up more, because I have to have my mouse.sh files in /home/bucky/.kde/Autostart reading as this:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 8 9 4 5 6 7 10 11"

I am wondering if I should eliminate mouse.sh by temporarily renaming it and moving it to a non Autostart directory, and if I should add the lines ( in imwheelrc):

".*"

None, Button5, Button2 [NOT use this line]

None, Button4, Button2 [Not use this line]

Control_L, Button5, Alt_L|Left

Control_L, Button4, Alt_L|Right

Shift_L, Button5, Button1|Home

Shift_L, Button4, Button1|End

So I am going to try those things and then see what happens, if anyone has any ideas or knows of how I can figure out which mouse button is which for these programs, HELP, please!

What is happening now is that my thumb buttons do nothing, the scroll wheel scrolls normally, but the tilt of the scroll wheel moves me forward or backward to webpages I have browsed, so evidently, the tilt wheel is doing what the thumb buttons are supposed to do. I have been trying different things to no avail. Can someone talk me through this somehow, or give me ideas.

I ran xev, and my mouse, the first button is the left mouse button normal, the middle (tilt wheel) button is normal as button 2, and the right button is normal as button 3. xev shows the scroll part of the scroll wheel to be 4 and 5 for up and down, and the tilt part of the wheel as 6 and 7. xev shows the thumb buttons to be 8 and 9.

I tried putting 9 in the place of 5 and 8 in the place of 4 in the above and that changed nothing, which surprises the heck out of me. Can someone help me here, please?