Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Unallocated Space...

Forgive me if this has been posted before, I am rather new to the forum and this issue has been bothering me for quite some time...

I recently installed Ubuntu Breezy on my 20gig laptop with Windows 2000 on the second partition. I recently removed that Windows partition through GParted / Disks Manager so that I could add more space to my Linux Distro thus having a greater time with it... Anyways, my problem is that I do not know how to take the unallocated space and put it in the Linux partition. I tried to disable the Linux partition so that I could move the unallocated space over while it was in a partition, but I was unsuccessful. GParted will not allow me to resize the Linux partition due to the fact that it is mounted and I cannot temporarely unmount it. I have about 12gigs worth in the unallocated space and would really like to move it over without having to reinstall.

Anyways... Does anyone have an idea as to how I can sort out this problem?

Also, I do have some Mandrake and OpenLinux CDs. I know OpenLinux has a pretty decent partition manager, but would it be a good idea to alter the Ubuntu partition with OpenLinux?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.. Thanks guys!

Edit: I tried using OpenLinux and was unable to alter the size of the Linux partition or completely remove the Windows (unused) partition.

don't know if this too late, however i might be able to help.

it's possible there are other smaller partitions between the the Linux one and the other unallocated space.

if you still need help, could you please take a screen-shot of the drive from within gparted or something.

that way i am better able to see what's wrong. if anything. :-)