Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from 10.1 -> 10.2, help

Hi

I would like to know if there is any chance to upgrade my server from slack 10.1 to 10.2 without reinstalling the whole thing.

I can't imagine that there is not an upgrade path. Most distros benefit if you, download the CD for the new release boot into it .. and select UPGRADE rather than install. This is normally the "safe" method (no upgrade is truely safe).

Other than that, look for the repositories and alter them for the new repos .. that should allow you do handle the update.

The reason why the first method is prefered is simple, 1) your system isnt running during the update! 2) your using the method prepared by the distros authors!

So .. good luck and all that :P

thanks ;)

i hate updated/upgrades [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif[/img]

i've been upgrading slackware live from 8.0 -> 10.2

install swaret on your box and edit the /etc/swaret.conf and point your version to 10.2

swaret --update

swaret --upgrade -a

the nice thing about slackware is i keep up with the -current branch so you can point your config to current which will always get you the latest and greatest packages approved by patrick

thanks man.. i was thinking how could i upgrade it with swaret but i fortog to set on 10.2 in conf :P

is this upgrade with swaret exectly like fresh install of 10.2 ? ;)

its not going to overwrite any config files or such.. its just going to upgrade all your packages