Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions...
Hello, all. This is my first post, maybe you guys could help me out. I am excited to get Linux for my Windows XP machine, not because I think windoze is terrible or unusable, but I want to try out something else, and I'm always ready to try out open source stuff. However, I encountered many issues with the idea of Linux on the machine. I want to dual boot (at least at first) so I can run my apps (mostly games). I already use Open Office, Thunderbird, Firefox, ClamWin, and all that good open source stuff. A) My drive is in NTFS, so I can't re-partition with anything I have on the PC right now. (you can only use fdisk for fat/fat32)? Buying a utility would be expensive from what I've seen. B) So I tried SUSE Live DVD, but that hung on the usb detection, can't "mount the drives"? and doesn't detect my soundcard, and several other errors. I tried Knoppix after that, but the mouse doesn't work and the USB wifi adapter doesn't work. C) Alot of Linux message boards and things say you need a 3.5" floppy drive to install Linux? I don't have one. Also, if SUSE Live/Knoppix didn't work, does that mean that the real HD Install distro wont work either? Thanks in advance for your good advice, Linux seems alot trickier to figure out then I thought it would be.

Quote:Hello, all. This is my first post, maybe you guys could help me out. I am excited to get Linux for my Windows XP machine, not because I think windoze is terrible or unusable, but I want to try out something else, and I'm always ready to try out open source stuff. However, I encountered many issues with the idea of Linux on the machine. I want to dual boot (at least at first) so I can run my apps (mostly games). I already use Open Office, Thunderbird, Firefox, ClamWin, and all that good open source stuff. A) My drive is in NTFS, so I can't re-partition with anything I have on the PC right now. (you can only use fdisk for fat/fat32)? Buying a utility would be expensive from what I've seen. B) So I tried SUSE Live DVD, but that hung on the usb detection, can't "mount the drives"? and doesn't detect my soundcard, and several other errors. I tried Knoppix after that, but the mouse doesn't work and the USB wifi adapter doesn't work. C) Alot of Linux message boards and things say you need a 3.5" floppy drive to install Linux? I don't have one. Also, if SUSE Live/Knoppix didn't work, does that mean that the real HD Install distro wont work either? Thanks in advance for your good advice, Linux seems alot trickier to figure out then I thought it would be.

Apologies for missing this post [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png[/img]

You could try repartitioning with a tool called Partition Magic .. there is free copies of it around. HOWEVER DO NOT repartition with FDISK!! .. it will destroy your current install of WinXP. If you are willing to reinstall WinXP this would be the best+safer option.

So..

Resize with PMagic (backup FIRST!) .. reparition with PMagic (thus removing WinXP!)

Install WinXP on the first parition.

Install Linux on the second parition.

You cannot "mount disks" because there is not disk to mount (its all NTFS)

You do NOT need a floppy disk, not unless you system cannot boot CD/DVD (which is can because you said you ran the SuSE DVD).

What happened with Knoppix? It runs on pretty much everything normally.

Once more .. sorry for missing the post :P

Thank you for your reply. Knoppix was ok, but it had trouble with my hardware. I got the live CD of Slax, and that works fine. The only thing is the usb wireless, but I heard most Linux doesn't work with that. Thanks for your help, I think I will run live CDs until I decide if its worth trying a HD install.

Quote:....I think I will run live CDs until I decide if its worth trying a HD install.....

best thing to do .. :)