Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suse and the web
I've encountered a strange problem with Suse 10 and the internet. Whenever I try to connect to a website, there's always a 20-30 second delay before loading the site. Even after the site is loaded, it lags pretty bad. This happens with Mozilla, konqueror, and firefox. I also tried the gnome desktop, but to no avail. Same Problem. Now, here's the catch. When I load windows in VMware inside of suse, the windows version of firefox does NOT have the same problem, even thought it's using the Suse internet connection. Again, dubya tee eff?
Okay, so I switched the situation, now I booted up my Suse Virtual machine inside of windows, and the same thing happens. Grrrrr.

Quote:Okay, so I switched the situation, now I booted up my Suse Virtual machine inside of windows, and the same thing happens. Grrrrr.

Not sure whether this will help or not, but try disabling the firewall temporarily.

As root run

Code:
yast2 firewall &

click the 'Stop Firewall Now' button and see if web browsing speeds up.

(Remember to turn it back on again afterwards)

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8039" data-ipsquote-username="kabifff" data-cite="kabifff" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2208" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> Okay, so I switched the situation, now I booted up my Suse Virtual machine inside of windows, and the same thing happens. Grrrrr.

Not sure whether this will help or not, but try disabling the firewall temporarily.

As root run

Code:
yast2 firewall &

click the 'Stop Firewall Now' button and see if web browsing speeds up.

(Remember to turn it back on again afterwards)

</div></blockquote>

Okay, I disabled the firewall, and it had no effect. I also changed it to allow everything into the internal zone or demilitarized zone or whatever it's called, and still no effect. I wiped everything clean and re-installed it, and I'm still having the same problem.

All right, now it gets weird. If I disconnect my router and plug straight into the ethernet port on my wall, I get the fastest internet I've ever had. Then I plug in my router, and bam, it's slow again. I've tried different ports on the back of the router, though I haven't yet tried a different router.

The strange thing about this though is that my virtual machines, like windows and the browser appliance, don't seem to be affected at all by the router. They're all fast, even though they bridge to the SuSe Networking. This si so weird and I know next to nothing about networking. Is there anything I should be changing in the Yast panel?