Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 problems

My old computer (667 megahertz), running Win 98se, keeps freezing while surfing so my son loaded Mandrake 9.2 to check if the problem was hardware or software. Freezing continued -- in fact started freezing even off the Internet, even freezes in KDE Help, for pete's sake.

But I like this linux and want to try using it. I want to change my start page so went to Settings then Configure Konqueror then typed in a new home URL. Yes, pressed Apply and OK but same old start page persists. Any suggestions appreciated.

I found konqueror.kde.org/faq which said the following about how to change the start page:

Start Konqueror with the "Web Browser" button, open the page that you want to be loaded

in any new "Web Browser" window, and select "Save View Profile Web Browsing" in the Window menu. To have Konqueror start up with no page loaded (as it did in KDE 2.0), use "about:blank".

Still doesn't work.

Got it. When desperate, follow directions. :P

good stuff, welcome to the forums and consider checking your ram/cpu/video card to determine the source of the crashing

cheers

anyweb

Quote:...consider checking your ram/cpu/video card to determine the source of the crashing

Gran, I second that. Also, if you can give a little more information about the crashes, it'd help. Have you cleaned out the dust from the heat sink/fan from the CPU? from the power supply? Do you have any missing plates from unused expansion slots? If you have a case fan, is it clean and working? If you feel comfortable doing this, use a static wrist strap and pull each memory chip. Make sure the connections are clean and free from corrosion. Usually a decent pencil eraser can clean those up nicely as long as you don't rub them too hard.

Honestly, this sounds like it is heat related, but we'll see.

Try using a linux cd that has memtest to test your ram. but we need more info on your system to help you more!