Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
internet connection sharing

Well, attempt number 2 to switch to Linux, Mandrake didnt work out too well but SuSe 10 seems to be working great so far!!

Anyway my question is, I have two NICs, One is wireless which goes to my router and gets me online, which obviously is working fine :) second one is wired and i want to be able to connect a PC/Another Router/My Xbox(eww microsoft) to it with a crossover so i can get online with that PC/Play Xbox Live/whatever.

and a secondary question i have is i have a Windows XP Computer sharing a Printer, how do i install that?

Thanks for your help :)

Quote:Anyway my question is, I have two NICs, One is wireless which goes to my router and gets me online, which obviously is working fine :) second one is wired and i want to be able to connect a PC/Another Router/My Xbox(eww microsoft) to it with a crossover so i can get online with that PC/Play Xbox Live/whatever.

So correct me incase i understand wrong: right now, you're network looks something like this....

-----------

| internet |

-----------

|

` router

...` wireless

.........`---> computer

..................|

..................`- another router

............................|

............................ ` another computer

............................` XboX

more like this

Internet

^

Wireless Router

^

Suse PC With Wireless

^

Xbox

Where Xbox Is I will probably be interchanging it with a laptop or a router so i can have both the xbox and laptop on.

Quote:more like this 

Internet

^

Wireless Router

^

Suse PC With Wireless

^

Xbox

Where Xbox Is I will probably be interchanging it with a laptop or a router so i can have both the xbox and laptop on.

can the suse pc access the internet?

yes i am on it right now

Is there something i have to download to do this?

i have a few other questions

1. I wanted to update firefox, but i have no idea where its installed or what files to overright (i dont have an RPM...boo)

2. To install flash i just open a terminal window thing and type in Instal-Flash-Script.sh after going to the folder right?

3. and to install realplayer10 (everyone elses seems to have come with this....mine didnt, maybe because i have the OSS release) its a .bin file, what do i do with that?

That's a binary, an executable, the Linux equivalent of a .exe.

Fire up your command line, drag that file into it, and hit enter. That should run the .bin, assuming your permissions allow execution.

Quote:Well, attempt number 2 to switch to Linux, Mandrake didnt work out too well but SuSe 10 seems to be working great so far!! 

Anyway my question is, I have two NICs, One is wireless which goes to my router and gets me online, which obviously is working fine :) second one is wired and i want to be able to connect a PC/Another Router/My Xbox(eww microsoft) to it with a crossover so i can get online with that PC/Play Xbox Live/whatever.

and a secondary question i have is i have a Windows XP Computer sharing a Printer, how do i install that?

Thanks for your help :)

Alright I dont know if you found a solution to your problem and if you did could you point me to the reference page cuz i'm interested too. So far the only thing I've found was that you have to download bridge-utils from the repos and that the cmd can only be excuted from root account (I dont know how to set up sudo yet and su doesn't work).

So I hope this helped