Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slackware help

Hey guys. I am new to slackware. I have a few issues with my install and I am looking for advice. I will number them out. Please see if you can help me. Prior to telling me, I did not use the Slakware 2.6.* kernel install guide which is listed on this forum. I wanted to keep it basic for myself. Plus it might be good practice to learn how to update the kernel. This installation is using the standard 10.2 kernel install of 2.4.*.

1)Lilo configuration: During install I select expert LILO setup because I need to point it to /dev/hdb (my hdd). My harddrive has 2 partitions, /dev/hdb1 for swap (512) and /dev/hdb2 for '/'. During expert setup I set LILO to /dev/hdb2, boot from MBR, booting using /boot/vmlinuz and defined the boot partition to be /dev/hdb2. For some reason when my installation is completed it tells me to reboot. Ok. I'm fine with that. When it reboots the screen is black and a bunch of 02 02 start to scroll across my computer screen. It just goes 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02...etc. Very wierd. It does not boot into linux then. Did I do something wrong? During the install I chose a standard linux view (i forget what it is exactly called, but I chose Normal Mode instead of like VGA 1024x768x256). I really don't know what the issue is but it is frustrating me.

2) My second issue deals with Swaret and updating slackware with necessary packages. I downloaded the most recent stable version off of their sourceforge website. i extract the files and modify the .conf file like it states. When I try to run and install it using ./doisnt.h it tells me to properly config my .conf file and run the application...When I try to run the application it says No such file or directly. (I tried doing swaret --update). Am I doing something wrong here with the installation? Are there other slackware update tools or what is good to use?

generally your main mbr is on your primary master disk which is /dev/hda. Even if linux is installed on hdb try to install it on the mbr which is hda.

you don't extract that file.. slackware packages are kind of stupid and are just .tgz files so

installpkg swaret.tgz

then mv the file in /etc its somehting like

mv /etc/swaret.conf.default /etc/swaret.conf

then edit that file to change what you want then

swaret --update

swaret --upgrade -a

Quote:generally your main mbr is on your primary master disk which is /dev/hda. Even if linux is installed on hdb try to install it on the mbr which is hda. 

you don't extract that file.. slackware packages are kind of stupid and are just .tgz files so

installpkg swaret.tgz

then mv the file in /etc its somehting like

mv /etc/swaret.conf.default /etc/swaret.conf

then edit that file to change what you want then

swaret --update

swaret --upgrade -a

my primary disk is showing up as /dev/hdb... allso when i try to do installpkg swaret...tgz i get an error.. and it does nothing..do i need supported files downloaded in order to get swaret to work? Thx

what error do you get?`

Quote:what error do you get?`

I will have to report the error once I get back home. I will post back in a few hours. Thanks.

Update: I got everything to work fine. I am embarassed to say that the jumper on the hdd was set to slave. :-/ Thanks for the help.