Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Changing Resolution
#1
My resolution sometimes goes from 800x600 to 1024x768 (Prefurably 1024x768). I've rebooted a bazillion times to see if it would magically change my resolution back to the way it once was (1024x768). I was told that if I used ctrl shift + it would increase the resolution. Is this true? If not, are there other ways?
Reply
#2

Quote:My resolution sometimes goes from 800x600 to 1024x768 (Prefurably 1024x768). I've rebooted a bazillion times to see if it would magically change my resolution back to the way it once was (1024x768). I was told that if I used ctrl shift + it would increase the resolution. Is this true? If not, are there other ways?
 

Well .. its most likely something that X is autodetecting incorrectly... look at your Xorg.conf .. particularly the monitor and card sections. Maybe post it here ?

Reply
#3
Where would I find Xorg.conf o_O
Reply
#4

Quote:Where would I find Xorg.conf o_O
 

/etc/X11/xorg.conf (note the capitalisation of X11).

Reply
#5

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7484" data-ipsquote-username="Navrax" data-cite="Navrax" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2080" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> Where would I find Xorg.conf o_O
 

/etc/X11/xorg.conf (note the capitalisation of X11).



</div></blockquote>
What exactly am I looking for in xorg.conf.... This sucks, I had to stop x so I could refresh something and now everytime i startx its 800x600! I just keep stopping. starting. stopping. starting, still no luck :(

Reply
#6
Attach your Xorg here... it would also be good to get the output of "lspci" (for your card) and make/model of your monitor (or at least its stats).. I'll give it a look over :)
Reply
#7

Quote:Attach your Xorg here... it would also be good to get the output of "lspci" (for your card) and make/model of your monitor (or at least its stats).. I'll give it a look over :)
 

 

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

 



Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "type1"
    Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol" "auto"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "MoEndSection

Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
    ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
    #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
    #Option     "Dac6Bit"                   # [<bool>]
    #Option     "Dac8Bit"                   # [<bool>]
    #Option     "DMAForXv"                  # [<bool>]
    #Option     "ForcePCIMode"              # [<bool>]
    #Option     "CCEPIOMode"                # [<bool>]
    #Option     "CCENoSecurity"             # [<bool>]
    #Option     "CCEusecTimeout"            # <i>
    #Option     "AGPMode"                   # <i>
    #Option     "AGPSize"                   # <i>
    #Option     "RingSize"                  # <i>
    #Option     "BufferSize"                # <i>
    #Option     "EnablePageFlip"            # [<bool>]
    #Option     "Display"                   # <str>
    #Option     "PanelWidth"                # <i>
    #Option     "PanelHeight"               # <i>
    #Option     "ProgramFPRegs"             # [<bool>]
    #Option     "UseFBDev"                  # [<bool>]
    #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
    #Option     "ShowCache"                 # [<bool>]
    #Option     "VGAAccess"                 # [<bool>]
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "ati"
    VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
    BoardName   "Rage 128 RF/SG AGP"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
            Depth     8
            Modes     "1280x1024" "1024x768"
            Viewport   0 0

EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
            Depth     16
            Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768"
            Viewport   0 0

    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
            Depth     24
            Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768"
            Viewport   0 0
    EndSubSection
EndSection




Reply
#8

Only showing the bits that I would alter :)

 



Code:
# eek was this bit badly pasted?
# or is that the way it really is?
Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "Monitor0"
VendorName    "Monitor Vendor"
# Needs more info!
EndSection

# my monitor section for comparison..
Section "Monitor"
Identifier  "PHILIPS 190C"
HorizSync   30-83
VertRefresh 56-76
EndSection

# this is good..  maybe select r128 driver instead of
# ati (which it will probably do auto anyway)
Section "Device"
Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "r128"
VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName   "Rage 128 RF/SG AGP"
BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection




 

 

I did ask for you monitor specs.. they are really needed to fine tune the options..

Reply
#9

OK, found the monitor specs

 

So now we know:



Code:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier  "Vita VT-770EP"
HorizSync   30-70
VertRefresh 50-120
DisplaySize 565 465
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device     "Card0"
Monitor    "Vita VT-770EP"
DefaultDepth 24

SubSection "Display"
Depth     8
Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "720x400"
Viewport   0 0
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth     16
Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "720x400"
Viewport   0 0
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth     24
Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "720x400"
Viewport   0 0
EndSubSection
EndSection




 

Should do it!

Reply
#10

Quote:OK, found the monitor specs 

So now we know:



Code:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier  "Vita VT-770EP"
HorizSync   30-70
VertRefresh 50-120
DisplaySize 565 465
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device     "Card0"
Monitor    "Vita VT-770EP"
DefaultDepth 24

SubSection "Display"
Depth     8
Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "720x400"
Viewport   0 0
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth     16
Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "720x400"
Viewport   0 0
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth     24
Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "720x400"
Viewport   0 0
EndSubSection
EndSection

<div>


 

Should do it!

</div>
 

:) You know it did. :) I never have to fear shutting down/booting into a 800x600 REZ!!! Yay, THANK YOU znx!

Reply



[-]
Quick Reply
Message
Type your reply to this message here.


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)