Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to install Linux on my new machine
I would like to install Linux on my new machine, but so far am unable to get rid of Windows XP by any normal means. Could someone please help me get rid of this bastard Microsoft product?

Quote:I would like to install Linux on my new machine, but so far am unable to get rid of Windows XP by any normal means. Could someone please help me get rid of this bastard Microsoft product?
what distro of linux are you installing? i know some give you the option of formatting the hard-drive before you install.

have you tried fdisk?

Quote:I would like to install Linux on my new machine, but so far am unable to get rid of Windows XP by any normal means. Could someone please help me get rid of this bastard Microsoft product?

Most of the modern distros allow you to repartition and format the disk when they boot, so you shouldn't need to worry.

If you are still wanting to do it, you can look for a DOS utility called "zap" which literally wipes out the mbr and partition info on disks. So just create a DOS bootdisk .. and then put zap on it. Ah found it actually [/url][url=http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/mis...m-wipe-zap.html]http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/mis...m-wipe-zap.html

After this you will LOSE the disk! So you will need to repartition and install :)

Enjoy

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7241" data-ipsquote-username="Axiom_Prophet" data-cite="Axiom_Prophet" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2026" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I would like to install Linux on my new machine, but so far am unable to get rid of Windows XP by any normal means. Could someone please help me get rid of this bastard Microsoft product?
what distro of linux are you installing? i know some give you the option of formatting the hard-drive before you install.

have you tried fdisk?

</div></blockquote>

I'm trying to install Linux SuSE Pro on my new laptop. Here is what I've got to work with a 40g HD that has no partitions and a CD/DVD drive. I have no 3.5 floppy on this machine. If I am not mistaken a dual boot system is the way to go, but I have no idea about how to make this happen. Any furthur help you could give me would be appreciated, and perhaps one day allow me the knowledge to help someone else having the same problems I'm experiencing.