Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPM, TAR, and WTF????
Ok, this is the screen I get, and I'm not sure what a C compiler is. VMware forums give a very complex walkthrough, but there's got to be something easier. This is driving me nuts. Stupid school.

Quote:Ok, this is the screen I get, and I'm not sure what a C compiler is. VMware forums give a very complex walkthrough, but there's got to be something easier. This is driving me nuts. Stupid school.

This is quite easy to fix:

As root:

Code:
yast2 sw_single &

Use the dropdown box (which will be Search), go to Selections, tick C/C++ Compiler and Tools. Let that install for you and try again.

Grrrrrr. I ran that command and it worked great, I inserted the disc and away it went, but now I can't find my C++. I did a search for it and found the executable /usr/bin/GCC and /usr/bin/g++ . I type that path into the terminal and it says "/usr/bin is an existing directory, but it does not contain a 'linux' subdirectory as expected" . Where is this mysterious compiler? I tried running that command again, but it didn't work.

Quote:Grrrrrr. I ran that command and it worked great, I inserted the disc and away it went, but now I can't find my C++. I did a search for it and found the executable /usr/bin/GCC and /usr/bin/g++ . I type that path into the terminal and it says "/usr/bin is an existing directory, but it does not contain a 'linux' subdirectory as expected" . Where is this mysterious compiler? I tried running that command again, but it didn't work.

Are you sure this is the question about gcc? I think this might be asking about your kernel sources.

Do the same steps for installing gcc through yast, but instead search for kernel-source and install that and try (yet) again. We'll get there eventually :).

Quote:Grrrrrr. I ran that command and it worked great, I inserted the disc and away it went, but now I can't find my C++. I did a search for it and found the executable /usr/bin/GCC and /usr/bin/g++ . Where is this mysterious compiler? I tried running that command again, but it didn't work.

I think this is two separate things that you are getting confused... The first part gcc and g++ (the C and C++ compilers) are there and installed.

Quote:I type that path into the terminal and it says "/usr/bin is an existing directory, but it does not contain a 'linux' subdirectory as expected".

This looks to be asking where the Linux kernel source is installed. The default for that is in /usr/src/linux (although you might not have it).

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKS! I love this place. Seriously. (No comments about how I'm installing XP Pro, the college of business makes me run statistical analysis software, SPSS, and it only works with windows. IT Services will hate me now..... :-D ) Thanks again Hybrid, ZNX, and Anyweb. You guys are teh l337 roxxors.