Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
slax linux on a dvd--running/want to put on hd

i have a compaq presario v2000 laptop with 1gb memory, 250gb hd,amd turion 64 mobile processor.Windows went wonkity on it, so i d/ld and made a slax dvd .I'm running that dvd with slax on it now, and am wondering how to put it on my hard drive.

any help would be appreciated.( won't let me save an iso, cause all i'm running is off the dvd.)

Quote:i have a compaq presario v2000 laptop with 1gb memory, 250gb hd,amd turion 64 mobile processor.Windows went wonkity on it, so i d/ld and made a slax dvd .I'm running that dvd with slax on it now, and am wondering how to put it on my hard drive.

any help would be appreciated.( won't let me save an iso, cause all i'm running is off the dvd.)

Welcome to the forums :)I have no experience with slax, but for most linux distros you can boot off of the cd/dvd. Ones you are running off the cd you will have an option to install to hard disk. Are you booting off of the dvd? Or when booting off the dvd you may have an option to live boot or install directly to hard drive.

Most CD/DVD images are one of two types:
  • "Live" images

• Installable media

The first type is intended to run and provide an operating system directly without touching the hard disk - originally made popular by Knoppix (Knopper's Linux) but has began to extend to bootable USB pens and the like so some settings (like Firefox bookmarks, etc) can be preserved on the bootable media yet still avoiding the HD.

The second type simply partitions the HD, writes a boot loader to it then begins installing the OS and associated applications, taking the user through specific options (apps to install, timezone, etc). Further apps can be downloaded and installed if not provided on the media itself.

Most recently, these two disks have been merged into one, as feedmebits mentioned - Live disks have an option to "try without installing" as well as "now install me". If the latter option isn't available during your bootup, it's perfectly possible you only have a Live image and now need to find an installer image instead.

However: http://gr8idea.info/os/tutorials/slax/install.html - seems the install is a bit convoluted.

If you find the slax install tricky at this stage, I'd advise trailing out an alternative distro, eg: Linux Mint, Ubuntu or Fedora - they're simple to install and you'll find similarities to slax.