Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with SSHd [Still Prob]

Hey, my post has been deleted! o_O Can you telnet to the box on port 22?

Quote:nothing deleted, just one mysql database moved to another with the resulting slight mismatch of active posts, next time i do this i'll shutdown the site properly so posts don't get lost. 

heres the original post from the other mysql..

Code:
Can you telnet on port 22 from the outside? Are you logged in as real root or did you use "su -" (check for the dash!) when running "iptables -nL"?

sorry about that, cheers anyweb

Quote:Hey, my post has been deleted! o_O Can you telnet to the box on port 22?

Bah.. and I'll do it again.. ;)

You can create the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files if you want, although when they are missing all should be accepted iirc

ssh works fine on local machine but not remote one.

my /etc/ don't have hosts.allow & hosts.deny in it.

i emerge the telnet. but i have not got that running yet. but i'll test on telnet once i have time... tonight going out drinking and tomorrow going out drinking lol. Monday back to work.

I didn't have chance to try them today because my boss need me to do some extra work for him coz my bosses is having a break weekend :)

Quote:I don't trust telnet dry.gif coz of plain ASCII - however, i'll test the telnet but i will disable it after the test heh. I can't do it right now because i am at work laugh.gif Will try tonight... I don't have iptables installed, but will emerge it tonight and get it all sort.. 

I got alot of emerges to do laugh.gif i use slocate now. it better than locate and udatedb biggrin.gif

Thanks again and i hope to get it all sorting out. and inform u how it goes.

Quote:Hey, my post has been deleted! blink.gif Can you telnet to the box on port 22?

sorry mate

happened just when i switched one database to the other

two machines running the same software. some posts were left on one,

cheers

anyweb

Quote:I don't trust telnet coz of plain ASCII

indeed telnet is a foolish plain text protocol, but its not what z0ny is suggesting, he is suggesting telneting to the ssh port to see if its open.

the telnet/netcat commands are great for simple network testing.. and not just open ports but to see if a server is in fact doing the right thing..

Test a proxy

Code:
# telnet PROXY 8080
GET http://www.site.com/  HTTP/1.1

Test a mail server

Code:
# telnet SMTPSERVER 25
quit

etc etc anything that uses plain text protocols (irc ;))