Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notebook

I've decided I'm going to wait for buying my server until the hard disk prices go down. Until after the new year.

And I might just only buy 2x500GB I never use that much data. Can always replace the hard disks if I do.

Might as well get myself a christmas present so I'll be buying a notebook. I'm thinking of buying this one

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Not...67S/570563

What you think?

Nice and small, easy for travelling. And I'll be able to try out installing SL from a usb drive.

looks alright, and the price is ok, do up a review when you get one :)

Quote:looks alright, and the price is ok, do up a review when you get one :)

I will :)

I might just buy a 12 inch. 10 inch is kinda small though. lol :P

http://www.computerland.nl/a/laptops/800...tails.aspx

I have nearly this one - mine got the C60 cpu. I work on it since about a week - and everything should work like a charm. The main issue at the moment is the soundcard under every Distro (except the pre-installed Windows7). And under SuSe for some reason I loose the internet connection from time to time. So software issues.

Else: I've got Fedora in 64bit and the hardware works really fine (for me). I have LXDE Desktop

running.

The website notebookcheck.net helped me a lot. From what I found, the reviews there seemed to be more reliable. And I definitely appreciate that they take time and explain advantages and disadvantages of the single parts in comparison with other in the same price/perfomance range. Which seems pretty fair to me.

I'll be glad to give more information. Maybe one of you can point me to where I might get soundcard issues solved (alsamixer: all is on, driver (intel-hda) seems to be on, test-sounds get through, but no audioplayer is able to find the built-in card. Which isn't nice. And since they are quite new out there, there seems to be not much information about what to do now. Sigh. Anyhow.

I'll be glad to help!

Quote:I have nearly this one - mine got the C60 cpu. I work on it since about a week - and everything should work like a charm. The main issue at the moment is the soundcard under every Distro (except the pre-installed Windows7). And under SuSe for some reason I loose the internet connection from time to time. So software issues.

Else: I've got Fedora in 64bit and the hardware works really fine (for me). I have LXDE Desktop

running.

The website notebookcheck.net helped me a lot. From what I found, the reviews there seemed to be more reliable. And I definitely appreciate that they take time and explain advantages and disadvantages of the single parts in comparison with other in the same price/perfomance range. Which seems pretty fair to me.

I'll be glad to give more information. Maybe one of you can point me to where I might get soundcard issues solved (alsamixer: all is on, driver (intel-hda) seems to be on, test-sounds get through, but no audioplayer is able to find the built-in card. Which isn't nice. And since they are quite new out there, there seems to be not much information about what to do now. Sigh. Anyhow.

I'll be glad to help!

I'll probably be buying it this week. I'll update and let you know if I get my sound working. What Linux distro are you using? Welcome to the forums btw :)

as mentioned - I am very lucky with this one here. I'll upgrade the RAM as soon as I got time/nerve to look up what fits and where the differences are. 2GB RAM are around €10-20, but nevertheless I want to know why to use what.

OS running at the moment is Fedora with LXDE window manager in 64 Bit. I'm new to Fedora, coming from Debian to which I switched to when I wasn't so happy with Ubuntu anymore. But the sound issues were the same in Debian, SuSe and now Fedora. Funny thing: yesterday I installed http://wesnoth.org/ and the sound was there. Ba-Booom!

I narrowed the problem to that point down. Next step: find - solve - report.

Oh, and thank you! I feel very welcome :)