Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PCI Network Card recommendation

I'm in the process of assembling some spare parts into another computer that will run either Fedora 4 or Suse 9.3 (haven't quite decided which yet). The only piece I'm missing is a network card.

I'm hoping to run down to BestBuy tonight after work to pick up a card, are there any recommendations or warnings on cards to get (or not to get)? I'm looking for a card that I can put in the computer and have the Linux installer detect and install working drivers automatically (i.e. no manually compiling and installing drivers).

There are four cards listed on the BestBuy website that I'm considering (mostly because they are listed as probably being available at my local store):

D-Link - Desktop 10/100 PCI Network Card (DFE-530TX+)

Dynex - Desktop 10/100 PCI Network Card (DX-E101)

Linksys - EtherFast Desktop 10/100 PCI Card (LNE100TX)

Netgear - Gigabit PCI Desktop Adapter (GA311)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

little late in reply :) but ill suggest netgear, not hand any issues even have a couple of them in servers at work..

Hello there...

I believe you have left a fully Linux compatible network card out of your list...

I am the proud owner of a:

MINITAR-MN54GCB-R Wireless 802.11G Cardbus.

I have personally found this card to be very very easy to set up (even without the extensive support of the manufacturers website) and i get a very stable connection.

A simple search on altavista yields numerous support sites and online stores from which you can buy one...

Hope this helps

Mike