Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stentz :- Fedora Core Release 4 out !!!!

i'm glad to see the screenies are helping noobs to learn linux or for that matter try it

and yes Fedora is linux, and a very worthwhile linux to learn too ;-)

cheers

anyweb

Nice display Anyweb ;)

I am far behind with linux at the moment :/

So it time for me to catch up lol. soooooon, my windows is going to DIE! then had to reformat windows then format linux to install FC4 or i might go for Gentoo again [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif[/img] but bootstracpting taking so aggggeeessssss. lol. can't deciced at the moment yet heh. my laptop is ATI gfx card... is crap lol need nvidia but don't have one... so dunno yet.

yum is already installed once you install FC4 into your system, why you mention the apt-get for fc4? isnt it bad to have both? I mean yum and apt-get in the same system? I've heard of a pro unixer people that never install apt-get & yum in the same system, What do you think guys?

Quote:yum is already installed once you install FC4 into your system, why you mention the apt-get for fc4? isnt it bad to have both? I mean yum and apt-get in the same system? I've heard of a pro unixer people that never install apt-get & yum in the same system, What do you think guys?

although on the surface it would see so, the answer is no

yum apt and up2date can live on the same system and work together, the reason behind this is a simple one, they all are just frontends to RPM (on fedora) which is the real backend.

yum caters for one audience and i must admit it's improving but the downsides of it are the long times it takes to download the package headers.

that said, yum is good enough to do this

Code:
yum -y install apt

and now you have apt-get !

i use both apt-get and yum to do my program updates, it's extremely rare these days that i touch up2date and with FCR5 coming next month, you can expect it to have a graphical manager for yum (called PUP) which will hopefully give people more of a liking towards yum

both yum and apt-get have their plus's and minus's,

having both allows you to have the best of both worlds

cheers

anyweb