Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Networking 2 SuSE 9.3 boxes

Hello!

Although I have an extensive background in the Windows world, I am brand new to Linux. I have 2 SuSE 9.3 boxes that I cannot seem to get talking to one another. Both machines dual boot with 1 having Windows 98 and the other Windows XP Pro. On the Windows side the boxes see each other and share files. Each box can see its own Windows partician. Through Samba, one machine in Linux can see the other when it is booted to Windows. Both machines access the Internet in both operating systems.

My network is a wired D-Link DI 604 router/switch that is connected to a cable modem for Internet access. Each computer plugs into the D-Link. The D-Link is set to provide DHCP IPs. In Linux each machine can ping the other. So, I am reasonably certain that the hardware is functioning, and that I must be looking at some setup or configuration step that has been overlooked.

My goal is to have a home network where the 2 boxes running SuSE can share files.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Todd

to share files between the two you could use scp or ftp

linux doesnt use 'shares' the same way as windows does, if you can ping back and forth then they can talk to each other, try ssh x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip of the other box

good luck and welcome to the forums

cheers

anyweb

Windows to Linux should be done with Samba (as you correctly identified). What you are currently doing is using the "client" side of the samba tools. You can also run a samba server on your linux box and share the files from Linux to Windows. The setup isn't to hard (hopefully) and as with most things howto's are out there. The particular page handles the setup of a share from linux to windows.

Here's the full links to the howtos that are important for samba (if your interested in giving it a little more time):

Samba Howto

Official Samba

Any problems or in need of more suggestion just ask.

Just as a side, Linux to Linux shares should be done with NFS (here's a nfs howto).

HI anyweb,

Thank you. Yes, ssh works immediately. I will further setup ftp or scp. Thank you for the welcome, and perhaps as I become more experienced with Linux, I can help answer questions, especially in the Windows to Linux area.

I am finding that the world of Linux users is indeed friendly and helpful, and I appreciate fully the work and effort that has been done by those who have made the Linux world so great.

Cheers!

Todd

Hi znx,

Thank you for the excellent links! I have bookmarked them, and I will study them further. Yes, NFS is also on my list to learn. As for time, I am fully commited to learning enough Linux to be able to do a little programming with it, and maybe get to the intermediate level as a user. The last may be a bit ambitious as Linux is considerably more complex than Windows, and it has taken me 10 years to learn what I know about Windows.

Thank you for your help!!

Cheers!

Todd