Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building my own home server

Quote:I used VMware back then because VirtualBox didn't exist! VirtualBox should be fine, the free VMware Server app that I then used is now too out of date and you'd have to buy VMware.

A very different approach is that of Xen -- it's more complicated and less 'consumer-y', but it can be used on a much larger scale. It also has a cooler logo.

Ah ok. I'll have a look as xen then. but virtualbox has done a great job for me so far.

Quote:Ah ok. I'll have a look as xen then. but virtualbox has done a great job for me so far.

It may or may not be better for what you want to do -- I imagine, though I'm not sure, that VirtualBox requires you to have a GUI and treats virtual machines in a certain way. VirtualBox is most certainly easier to use and to get started with, but Xen is probably better if you're doing virtualisation on a large scale (hence why many VPS providers use Xen, for example).

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="15386" data-ipsquote-username="hybrid" data-cite="hybrid" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1320433230" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="4197" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
I used VMware back then because VirtualBox didn't exist! VirtualBox should be fine, the free VMware Server app that I then used is now too out of date and you'd have to buy VMware.

A very different approach is that of Xen -- it's more complicated and less 'consumer-y', but it can be used on a much larger scale. It also has a cooler logo.

Ah ok. I'll have a look as xen then. but virtualbox has done a great job for me so far.

</div></blockquote>

ah ok that's true :)

Quote:ah ok that's true

Really I just like the panda.

[Image: XenFuPanda_NoLogo.png]

haha yeah it looks awesome. Yeah I guess I'll go for virtualbox then, since I'm used to working with then. I would install a gui. just the get the virtual boxes running. other then that I just want use command line.

Linux is addicting and so many options [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img] I wander how much I'll have learned a year from now :)

My goal really is to maybe in 2-3 years to be a junior linux system admin. That's my dream job

Quote:That should make a pretty beefy server. You'll probably want to install the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers, if you run a GUI, but it looks great. And by the looks of things, a good price too.

I found the drivers for that video chip. Probably easier for now to install a gui to to setup virtual box with virtual machines and then manage/admin everything via command line via ssh

Want to become a pro in the command line or at least fine my way around it easier.

Still need to figure out mod_security, which is still a pain in the ass. Can't wait to start on IDS.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="15389" data-ipsquote-username="feedmebits" data-cite="feedmebits" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1320433768" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="4197" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>ah ok that's true

Really I just like the panda.

[Image: XenFuPanda_NoLogo.png]

</div></blockquote>

Makes me think of Kung Fu Panda ;)

Quote:My goal really is to maybe in 2-3 years to be a junior linux system admin.
Not wanting to put too fine a point on it but... you're *already* a Linux sysadmin. Maybe not for an external organisation (or in a paid vocation), but what you're doing is already System Administration. You're adminning your own server!

Now, once you start to wear smelly Tshirts (like me) and have a shaggy hairstyle (like Hybrid), you'll have made it to full-blown Lunix Geek!

[img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="15396" data-ipsquote-username="feedmebits" data-cite="feedmebits" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1320450865" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="4197" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>My goal really is to maybe in 2-3 years to be a junior linux system admin.
Not wanting to put too fine a point on it but... you're *already* a Linux sysadmin. Maybe not for an external organisation (or in a paid vocation), but what you're doing is already System Administration. You're adminning your own server!

Now, once you start to wear smelly Tshirts (like me) and have a shaggy hairstyle (like Hybrid), you'll have made it to full-blown Lunix Geek!

[img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

</div></blockquote>

I like how you put that [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img] If the like button worked on the forum. You would have to ban me for spamming it [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png[/img][img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

And I was thinking of setting up my home server Raid 1 2x500gb or something like that? I have never done anything

with raid so is that a good setup?

I've decided I'm going to go for KVM when it comes to virtualization since it's the new RedHat standard.