Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to mount a Windows share with smbmount

You people need to stop posting answers to questions unless you know your advice will work. I've lost about 30 hours in the last 4 days because of this.

I too have the same problem.

I installed Ubuntu 6.06 dapper drake as dual boot. Followed instructions and installed it correctly. Everything is great... except whenever I click on a drive in "Computer" I get a message that says "Only root can mount /dev/sdc1". And yes, I have tried everything I can think of. My fstab looks fine. I've tried sudo and sudo su to root.

Helpful suggestions please. Obivously lots of people have had this issue if I received the error on a clean install.

Quote:samssf Posted Today, 01:17 AM You people need to stop posting answers to questions unless you know your advice will work. I've lost about 30 hours in the last 4 days because of this.
if we don't post howto's then how will people learn ? 

Quote:I installed Ubuntu 6.06 dapper drake as dual boot. Followed instructions and installed it correctly. Everything is great... except whenever I click on a drive in "Computer" I get a message that says "Only root can mount /dev/sdc1".

ok lets be clear here, are you trying to mount ANOTHER computers (windows xp) 'share' or are you trying to mount your dual boot NTFS drive ? To be clear, THIS POST is about how to mount ANOTHER computers share from within linux, it is not about how to mount an NTFS drive/partition within linux.

if that's the case then you need to read the 'how to mount an NTFS drive in 5 minutes or less... post'

if this is not the case then please give us details of what you have tried and what your exact error is,

the more details the better, oh and welcome to the forums,

cheers

anyweb

Quote:/dev/sdc1

That is a local drive, what this howto is for is remote windows share. Check out the link that anyweb provided.

It should be made clear to all, this tutorial requires two separate machines, one a linux system the other a windows system, I'm sorry if there was any confusion with regards to this.

i tried all the methods stated in this thread, but all i get is this

Code:
dustman@dustman-laptop:~$ smbmount //smb://ionut/ /home/dustman/Muzica/jean/ -o ro
11060: Connection to smb: failed
SMB connection failed

where "//smb://ionut" is the network path of the share folder i want to mount, and "/home/dustman/Muzica/jean/ " is the path i want to mount the share folder

With the second method i get:

Code:
dustman@dustman-laptop:~$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o guest //smb://ionut /home/dustman/Muzica/jean/
11318: Connection to smb: failed
SMB connection failed

basicly the same stuff as the first method. What am I doing wrong? :|

P.S. the network has only two users...my laptop and "ionut" computer...so there are no username and password set. In windows it works like a dream, but in ubuntu is doesn't :(

Remove the //smb: from the front of your lines. It sees the smb: as the name of the PC its trying to connect to!

Code:
$ smbmount //IPADDRESS/ionut /home/dustman/Muzica/jean/ -o ro

Or

Code:
$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o guest //IPADDRESS/ionut /home/dustman/Muzica/jean/

There we go :)

Quote:Remove the //smb: from the front of your lines. It sees the smb: as the name of the PC its trying to connect to! 

Code:
$ smbmount //IPADDRESS/ionut /home/dustman/Muzica/jean/ -o ro

<div>

Or

Code:
$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o guest //IPADDRESS/ionut /home/dustman/Muzica/jean/

There we go :)

</div>

yes, yes....it's working :) i figured it out.... thank you for answering :)

Cheers!

Radu

Just a quick footnote: "smbfs" should now read "cifs" for newer versions of SAMBA. I can't tell what version it changed; I know SMBFS still works on my FC4 home box but not on my Fed7 server at work (had to use CIFS).

I have tried many different things in the terminal to get read AND write access to my windows xp shared folder in a mounted folder. I can read and write if i go into smb://server/SharedDocs/ but in the folder i mounted it to, all the files are read only. I'm trying to get read and write access in the folder i mounted it to, is this possible?

The windows XP computer is on the same network as my kubuntu 9.04 which is the computer I cam trying to do this on.

Examples of what I've tried:

smbmount //192.168.0.101/SharedDocs /home/kyle/Server -o rw,umask=000

smbmount //192.168.0.101/SharedDocs /home/kyle/Server -o rw,uid=kyle

sudo smbmount //192.168.0.101/SharedDocs /home/kyle/Server -o -username=kyle,password=,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777

(in the last one on here I wasn't completely sure about what to do for the username and password)

Thanks for any help.

Firstly, I'd not recommend using 777 on any directory/file. For testing, pop it on, then examine the ownership of files etc - but it should then be changed back to something more secure.

Secondly, you need to match the XP credentials versus the Linux ones: Linux will connect to that share and emulate the user, but then you'll need to map local (Linux) users to that remote user so from XP's point of view, it's the same user each time - I think the SUID and SGID bits will do this.

Also, check the file ownership from the XP side - are the files owned by "Kyle" or by "guest"? I know under Windows that unmatched credentials will drop the incoming connection down to "guest" access which is usually disabled by default in XP now, but some people enable it to diagnose sharing issues then forget that every unmatched incoming username maps to the guest user.

Can you also look at the security logs under XP and see what they say?

Oh - one final point... check the ownership/permissions of the mount point AFTER it's mounted. I made that mistake once.

I have followed your instructions exactly, however when I try to mount (whichever way), I am prompted for another password (After having entered the password for root priviledges).

I have tried all the passwords it can possibly be, but keep getting:

Code:
mount error(13): Permission denied

Also when I go to Places->Network I can see all my Windows shares, but when I try to enter any of them (including shareddocs) I get permission denied.

Why is this?

Please help!