Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
proxy/filter/networking

Correct - physically, ALL machines would connect to the switch, but the modem and first IP address of the gateway will be on one network range, the other machines (and second IP of the gateway) will be on another range.

Although it looks like any machine can connect out directly through the modem, it will only listen to requests made from the gateway machine, so traffic will have to flow through that.

Quote:Correct - physically, ALL machines would connect to the switch, but the modem and first IP address of the gateway will be on one network range, the other machines (and second IP of the gateway) will be on another range.

Although it looks like any machine can connect out directly through the modem, it will only listen to requests made from the gateway machine, so traffic will have to flow through that.

Sounds like a plan. So I'll do the second option cuz it's cheaper and since I have a limited amount of space. Will order the switch then do some research and see how far I get. I already have my internet forcing to go through my proxy and being filtered by dansguardian. So I did these changes to my iptables

Actually fun trying to plan out what I'm going to do and then how I can put it into home production and then continue building from there where it comes of use :)

Look foward to it.

I found out how to setup two ip's on one nic. Doesn't look to hard. I don't know much about networks/subnetmasks etc so will have to do some research on that too. Hardest part will be configuring my firewall.
btw do you know any linux tools. to create nice network diagrams like from the link that you posted?

UMLet, or ArgoUML I've used for diagrams. I've also tried Dia too.

OpenDraw is the OpenOffice version of "Visio", and it produced some pretty good diagrams for me.

Quote:I don't know much about networks/subnetmasks etc so will have to do some research on that too.
USe a private network range, either:

10.x.y.z (netmask 255.0.0.0) - Class A

172.16 - 172.31.x.y (netmask 255.255.0.0) - class B - 65000-odd hosts

192.168.x.y (netmask 255.255.255.0) - class C - 253 hosts

Most networks are on 192.168.0 - I'd advise changing the third octet (1-254); I've configured a friend't network to use 192.168.200.x (netmask 255.255.255.0)

My works I configured on 172.16 (LAN), 172.20 (segregated training LAN) and 172.17 as the backbone between LAN and routers (DMZ).

My home network uses 172.16/255.255.0.0; I use the third digit as an indication of the node use (200 = servers, 100 = clients) but I don't have 65000 hosts so I may reduce it to a class-C network when I redo my networking.

Quote:Hardest part will be configuring my firewall.
Having a decent diagram to describe your setup helps tremendously. I've advised many friends to begin documenting their home networks - it reduces a lost of troubleshooting time.

Thanks for the advise. Once I get my switch, I'll see how far I'll get on my own. Yeah you've taught me that from the beginning here that documenting is important. So I always keep that in the back of my head now that I need to take notes on what I do :)

Doesn't your router act as a switch/hub? Or am I thinking of the wrong device here?

Mine looks something like this:

[Image: Netgear_N150_Wireless_Modem_Router_DGN1000_550.jpg]

My situation is kind of different, cuz I don't have my own house. I have my own internet connection and it comes in through a phoneline and connects to my ISP box

[Image: TG789v2.jpg]

I pulled a network cable all the way up to my room and have that cable plugged into LAN port 1 of my ISP box.

In my room I have a router WRT160N

[Image: brezzicni_usmerjevalnik_wl_linksys_wifi_wrt160n_ee.gif]

The network cable coming from my isp box that I pulled up to my room is I put in the internet port

of my router. And I connect my pc with a cable to this router and I use the wireless for my laptop.

WRT160N: 192.168.1.1

ISP Box: has a different ip

So I could just use my router as a switch?

but don't get how that would work without a switch?That'd be great thoug if I didn't even have to purchase a seperate switch.

ISP-Box-->connected to RouterWan(192.168.1.1)(1 2 3 4), 1 connected to my nic(ip1:192.1.1.2) connected to nic(ip2:10.0.0.1) but how does it get rerouted to ports 2 3 4+wlan?

ports 1-4 are the switch on your router.

The DSL part is the phone point that connects out to the world.

(I think...)