Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
failing to ssh

Welllp, I'm a noob of epic proportions. It was explained to me in great detail that I was to use the local ip when using a different machine in the same network, and localhost when its the same machine, not localhost to go from one machine to another in the same network.

I'm an idiot, thank you so much for your help. Your assistance got the server actually running if anyone wants to play on it Dorrin.MC.orbanos.org is the link. http://forum.orbanos.org/index.php/topic....html#msg2 has the information about how to log into it, needs two mods installed.

Seriously, thanks agian, couldn't have done it without you.

Quote:Welllp, I'm a noob of epic proportions. It was explained to me in great detail that I was to use the local ip when using a different machine in the same network, and localhost when its the same machine, not localhost to go from one machine to another in the same network.
erm.. yup - "localhost" is another name for "myself".

Rather than use the local IP, add this IP as a name into your hosts file (on all other LAN machines) then you can just use "ssh MACHINENAME" - makes it a bit easier.

Don't have the same FQDN as the "outside" name - in my case, I use "ssh orac" to connect to my local box, but "ssh orac.tombstones.org.uk" to connect from outside my LAN.

.. as it IS internet-facing, I presume you've changed the port number? Else you'll quickly see logfiles filling up with login attempts. I'd also recommend locking down the root account - by rights, nobody should be logging in as that user.

Quote:I'm an idiot, thank you so much for your help. Your assistance got the server actually running if anyone wants to play on it Dorrin.MC.orbanos.org is the link. http://forum.orbanos....msg2.html#msg2 has the information about how to log into it, needs two mods installed.
Not played Minecraft; I'm a UT gamer meself, as well as MAME stuff. But good to see you've got it all working!