Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) released

Quote:"There is nothing like a dream to create the future." - Victor Hugo 

The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce Ubuntu 11.10, code-named

"Oneiric Ocelot". 11.10 continues Ubuntu's proud tradition of

integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies

into a high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution.

For PC users, Ubuntu 11.10 supports laptops, desktops and netbooks

with a unified look and feel based on an updated version of the

desktop shell called "Unity", which introduces specialized "Lenses".

Finding and installing software using the Ubuntu Software Centre is

now easier thanks to improvements in speed, search functionality

enhancements, and usability improvements. Aside from updates

on the performance side, it's also more aesthetically appealing.

Ubuntu Server 11.10 has made it much easier to provision, deploy,

host, manage, and orchestrate enterprise data centre infrastructure

services with the introduction of "Orchestra". The Juju technical

preview allows service developers to describe the deployment and

scaling requirements of their applications, in order to simplify

and enhance the dialogue between developers and operations teams.

For those working on the ARM architecture, a technical preview is

also provided for the ARM server.

Read more about the new features of Ubuntu 11.10 in the following

press releases:

http://www.canonical.com/content/transfo...buntu-1110

http://www.canonical.com/content/client-...usiness-it

I'm excited to take a look at the new Ubuntu and upgrade my Ubuntu-running systems that are currently on 11.04!

What's the native support for (a) nVidia graphics cards, and (B) 64-bit flash like? In both 11.04 and 11.10?

(or are you upgrading a server?)

Both of these observations are for 11.04. I haven't yet played with 11.10, but I'm sure I will do soon!

a) When it works, really quite good. The nouveau open source driver works well when it works, but occasionally I've had issues with nothing appearing on screen at all! You can't even get to a console. It works well on a Nvidia GT 130 (I think that is the model), but I've had problems with older Nvidia cards and/or certain CRT monitors. Once you're into the system, you can bring in the proprietary driver with a few clicks which works flawlessly for 2D and 3D.

B) The 32-bit Flash Player works really well, combined with the plugin container separation in the 64-bit Firefox. It's possible my 11.04 64-bit system has actually now upgraded to Flash Player 11 in 64-bit native form, but if it has, I haven't noticed and it still works!

Quote:What's the native support for (a) nVidia graphics cards, and ([img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png[/img] 64-bit flash like? In both 11.04 and 11.10?

(or are you upgrading a server?)

Hasn't ubuntu been support nvidia cars for a while? Because about two years ago when I first tried ubuntu I was already able to install

the nvidia drivers from the nvidia website, and I did the same thing on ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Works great .

Quote:Hasn't ubuntu been support nvidia cars for a while?
Yes, but I had to follow Anyweb's Fedora guide when trying to use an nVidia card on XBMC (Debian underlying distro).

Quote:Because about two years ago when I first tried ubuntu I was already able to install

the nvidia drivers from the nvidia website, and I did the same thing on ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Works great .
If that's the "install script" you run which brings new modules in, that's the one I used - but the site I read suggested removing the nouveau drivers first and letting the nVidia-supplied ones do their funky stuff. It worked, but just wondered what a comparison of the two was like.

I've found nouveau to be hit-or-miss. It's great when it works, but occasionally it just completely doesn't work with some card/monitor combos, as I mentioned. Frankly, I think I preferred the stability of the old nv driver to nouveau, and the proprietary driver to both.
okay- proprietary it is!
I've also had luck with the 64-bit version of Flash Player on Oneiric 64-bit, having now had a chance to look at that. It works really well!