Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which distro?

Need some advice on choosing a distro for my needs. What I would like the distro to do is:

- ftp server

- oracle server

- file server

- prehaps web server

Have been fooling around with mandrake,suse and redhat / fedora. Must say that by first impression, mandrake and suse seems the easiest to use. Well, I am a nOOb [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img] but willing to use time to learn :).

Also in the search of an easy going distro for my desktop, basicly running office applications. For the server and desktop, I must admit that I prefer GUI for all applications.

Also I once saw an overview of which linux programs that is similar to some windows programs. Anyone have a link ?

And last, whats the best approach to linux? Any recomandations to books or other sites?

tia, kryppe :)

try fedora core release 2

its what most people around here use and theres lots of tips and tricks/faqs available for it here

infact, www.linux-noob.com is running on Fedora :)

cheers

anyweb

Quote:try fedora core release 2 

its what most people around here use and theres lots of tips and tricks/faqs available for it here

infact, www.linux-noob.com is running on Fedora :)

cheers

anyweb
hi iam planning to install Fedora.Can u tell me the best way to install it .

1.i have to hdd one is 120gb and the other is 8gb.

2.i have win98se and winxp pro installed in the 80gb and i want to intall fedora in the 8gb hdd.

3.i have a p4 3.2ghz processor.with a intel board and the standard stuff in it.

thx a lot

bye

hi

read this

it'll give you an idea of what fedora is like (its fedora core 1 but hey they are so similar...)

if you read the article you'll see how it recommends a noob to install linux

have fun

cheers

anyweb

Thx a lot m8.
thanks for the link anyweb. Some pointers there :)

i wrote the review :P

cheers

anyweb

Quote:i wrote the review :P 

cheers

anyweb
hahaha, didnt notice :)