Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Newbie Questions

Ok, everybody, I need some serious help. :/ I'm currently looking for help on the net, but I thought I'd post here, because you all seem willing to help, and may be able to help me more clearly than any guides I may stumble across.

I'm a brand spanking new Linux user, firstly. I bought an extra 80 GB internal hard drive, and installed it in my 2 year old Dell desktop. I used 60 GB for an extra storage NTFS partition to use in Windows, and then used the other 20 GB to install Fedora Core 2. (Yay!)

I've come this far....but now I've hit a few snags. o_O

1) I can't install jack squat! I don't know what any of these file types are, or how to install them. I read some other posts on this forum to try and get a grasp, but it's still confusing for me. (This thread and this thread for instance.) Unfortunately, I don't understand these command lines, or where to put them in, or what they mean.

2) I don't understand the filing system on this OS. In Windows XP, I could go into my hard drive (C Drive) and into various folders from there to find something I needed to delete, or another directory to move a file into, etc. But I don't get the system in Fedora Core 2. If I download stuff, where should I put it? If I want a place to store pictures or music files, I assume I can just create a directory. Right? But where should I put it? I don't understand!

3) How do I uninstall things? For instance, if I eventually figure out how to install thing, I'd like to swap out the default Mozilla browser for the Mozilla Firefox browser, just because I'm picky like that. But I don't need multiple web browsers installed. Can I get rid of old stuff?

I just need to figure out how things work, I guess.

Any help that you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. If you have pointers, or have found a site that answers my questions which I've not found yet, please link me up. Whooo....thanks in advance. :)

Quote:1) I can't install jack squat! I don't know what any of these file types are, or how to install them. I read some other posts on this forum to try and get a grasp, but it's still confusing for me. (This thread and this thread for instance.) Unfortunately, I don't understand these command lines, or where to put them in, or what they mean.
As I don't really know what that tool does I cannot help you in this special case. The best thing to do is look at the INSTALL file (or README) - they tell you how to install the program there. If you are told you enter commands you do that on a command shell (comparable to the "DOS-box" in Windows (don't beat me :))). Rightclick on your desktop and select "Open terminal" to open a shell if you are using an X-environment (graphical). Anyways you should prefer RPM packages that can be installed by using "rpm -ivh packagename.rpm". A good resource for RPM packages is PBone

Quote:2) I don't understand the filing system on this OS. In Windows XP, I could go into my hard drive (C Drive) and into various folders from there to find something I needed to delete, or another directory to move a file into, etc. But I don't get the system in Fedora Core 2. If I download stuff, where should I put it? If I want a place to store pictures or music files, I assume I can just create a directory. Right? But where should I put it? I don't understand!
I think there are many links on Google giving you more information than I could ever write here. Have a look at this page for example.

Quote:3) How do I uninstall things? For instance, if I eventually figure out how to install thing, I'd like to swap out the default Mozilla browser for the Mozilla Firefox browser, just because I'm picky like that. But I don't need multiple web browsers installed. Can I get rid of old stuff?
If you installed an RPM package the uninstall is quite easy - "rpm -e package". If you installed the program from source things are a bit harder. Some programs provide a "make uninstall" routine. Best thing to do when you are forced to use the sources (you should prefer RPM packages if available) is using checkinstall.

And just like always: Google is your friend. :)

z0ny

Quote:1) I can't install jack squat!
Quote:As I don't really know what that tool does I cannot help you in this special case. The best thing to do is look at the INSTALL file (or README) - they tell you how to install the program there.
Sorry - "jack squat" is just an expression meaning, and when used in that sentence means "I can't install anything at all." [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

Ok - well, what you've provided me is really helpful. Unfortunately, I have to go to work now. But I'll be sure to follow up on all the leads you've given me. (Assuming that checkinstall's website stops timing out... o_O ) Thanks, z0ny. :)

Oh - another question - I heard that it's possible to use some Windows type files using various programs . Is it possible to install something from an executable file? I'd like to install my university's email and news client, but it's only available for Windows OS and Mac OS. :/ Thanks again. (And any additional help would be quite useful, because, yes, I'm that much of a greenhorn.)

Quote:Oh - another question - I heard that it's possible to use some Windows type files using various programs
Yes, that is possible with "wine", though there is no guarantee that every Windows programm works (the more complex a program is the less chances you have). There's a tutorial about wine in the forums, have a look at the search function. :)

z0ny