Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CentOS 6 x86_64 as a Desktop

Quote:I remember having huge problems with wxWidgets (perhaps then still called wxWindows) when I was trying to compile and install Audacity, I think for SUSE, quite a few years ago.

Not sure if I ever got it working, to be honest, so I'm not sure I can be much help. [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img] Just thought I'd mention that my experience is wxWidgets can be a fiddle, at least it was back then!

Thanks mate :)I guess I'll just have to stick with gftp for now on my laptop. I still wish I would have documented how I got filezilla working on my desktop LOL.

But on the other hand I probably used some rpm file and forgot the other part. Well, I'm cool with gftp. And I don't think addinig third party repositories

is save to do. Well I'm pretty proud of myself I already got this far as in having CentOS 6 as a desktop. Still enjoying it and still trying to figure out the

things I don't get on my virtual pc and when I get them working on my virtual pc I try it out on my desktop or laptop. Although your post about

eaccelator I understand but at the same time is a bit complicated for me. I'll just keep on playing/studying and I'll eventually understand the

more complicated stuff.

Just installed CentOS 6 x86 for my 'reserve' web server. Unlike my main web server, this one has a GUI installed (using the 'Desktop' install selection rather than 'Minimal'), since it can also be used for other tasks.

I'm liking the look of the new CentOS 6 desktop experience. It updates it and brings it in line with recent GUI distros, but also stays really lightweight: it runs nice and smoothly, even on this prone-to-overheating Pentium 4 (awful processor by the way!). The graphical boot screen is particularly nice -- not something I expected as my minimal install just has a blue progress bar-type boot screen.

I'm impressed by both the CLI-only experience on my actual server and the GUI on this 'reserve' server!

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1019-0-31015600-1314803975.png" data-fileid="1320">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1019-0-31015600-1314803975.png[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1019-0-03300200-1314804061.png" data-fileid="1321">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1019-0-03300200-1314804061.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Empty-Desktop.png (Size: 949.32 KB / Downloads: 0)
.png   L-N on CentOS 6.png (Size: 494.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
I told you it wasn't bad as a desktop ;) my laptop(and desktop) runs on centos6 and it runs perfect. Only problem is I have to figure out how to install filezilla on centos. I had it installed before but I forgot how I installed. But for now I can do with gftp. and centos 6 is just as stable as 5 as far as I've been experiencing [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]