Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CentOS 6 is out

Quote:Does CentOS support beryl/compiz desktop properly? I had issues back in v4 and the GUI was an awful mess.

If Centy6 is as good for a desktop as a server, I may consider it on my new boxen. At present, I was playing with CentOS for the server and ubuntu for the workstation, but if I can consolidate them both together I'll be quids in!

I have never worked with beryl/compiz. I just keep my desktop standard. And having seen it from virtualbox, the CentOS 6 Desktop install I find similar looking to Fedora 14

And the whole installation process also reminds me of the Fedora installation(the graphical install), but text installs haven't change :P

Like I said in an earlier post. I'm going to install CentOS 6 x86_64 as Desktop this evening. I'll keep you updated in a different post as in how it all goes having CentOS on your desktop :)

Quote:Odd question -- but do you remember if the word 'centos' was capitalised or not in the first, textual, part of the installer (see screenshot)? I'm playing with it this morning and it seems odd that the text installer has this heading 'Welcome to centos' where previous versions were 'Welcome to CentOS'. I wonder if it is my download that is not right, or whether it's just a 'feature' of CentOS 6?

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1019-0-73283100-1313642814.png" data-fileid="1314">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1019-0-73283100-1313642814.png[/img]</a>

I just installed CentOS 6 x86_64 and I got a normal welcome message: "Welcome to CentOS"

Thanks for the feedback. I installed i386. I will do another download and compare -- perhaps also comparing x86_64 and the i386 releases to see if there is a difference. I do want to make sure I have a good copy of CentOS 6 since I'm installing it in a production environment!

is it possible to easily upgrade from centos 5.6 to 6 ? or must it be a new install,

the linux-noob.com server is running on 5.6

any big advantages to upgrading ?

Quote:is it possible to easily upgrade from centos 5.6 to 6 ? or must it be a new install,

the linux-noob.com server is running on 5.6

any big advantages to upgrading ?

It's not supported and not recommended:

centos forum post

LQpost1

LQpost2

Plus you'd have to upgrade from ext3 to ext4 I think. But I always do a fresh install with a new release never tried upgrading.

But you can always do it in a test environment first. install centos 5.5 on virtualbox and copy(clone/linux-noob) server and try and upgrade.

Unfortunately, it looks like it must be a clean install [1], [2] to ensure stability. :(

There's no huge motivation to upgrade the linux-noob.com server any time soon -- CentOS 5 will be supported with updates through March 31st, 2014. We have to do the migration at some point, but we have two and a half years to get ready. :)

Quote:Plus you'd have to upgrade from ext3 to ext4 I think. But I always do a fresh install with a new release never tried upgrading.

I don't think you'd be forced to go to ext4 -- most distros still allow you to pick older versions of the filesystem if you prefer. But, it does seem that a full install would be necessary. As I say, though, no rush for the linux-noob.com server for two and a half years yet.

Quote:Unfortunately, it looks like it must be a clean install [1], [2] to ensure stability. [img]../../..//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img]

There's no huge motivation to upgrade the linux-noob.com server any time soon -- CentOS 5 will be supported with updates through March 31st, 2014. We have to do the migration at some point, but we have two and a half years to get ready. [img]../../..//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

lol we accidently posted the same link xD what a coincidence :P Check my CentOS link ;):)

We actually posted at almost the same moment, too. It's in realtime! Ahhh! :)