Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux and WTS

Hi Everyone,

I am setting up a number of new Linux (RH9Pro) boxes to revamp our Engineering department. And I have been considering two different approaches to our MS Applications.

The first is to purchase and use Crossover, which reportedly will allow you to use MS Office and other MS Apps directly within the Linux environment. Swapping Viso and Office for OpenOffice and Dia is NOT an option. So I would run Office2000 and Visio 2002 under Crossover.

The second one has me wondering if the first is the right approach. I was playing around with my own personal install of RH9 and I noticed that one of the packages I installed without realizing it was Windows Terminal Services Client for Linux. Since we have TS here, thou we are not using it, it got me thinking that maybe that would be a better approach.

Does anyone have any experiences with the WTS cleint? Pro's or Con's of either idea?

Thanks!

MrCoffee

i use tsclient (gui for rdesktop) to connect to windows boxes all the time and it works just fine

so yeah, you could run all your windows stuff on one windows server and have the clients connect to it via rdesktop to run those apps,

give it a test yourself and see

cheers

anyweb

i use crossover office to run macromedia dreamweaver and photoshop 7. It works great.. but its a bit lagged. Like I run it on a p4 and it feels like a slow p3