Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems installing...

I am a total Linux noob, and I have been reading help files on how to install programs. So far the best idea I have is that I have to unpack the package, go into the new created folder, and then run: ./configure, make, make install; in that order. I am running into a problem with "make". Here is the problem:

[root@jonas xmms-kde-3.1]# make

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

this has happened with several different programs. Can anyone explain why this is happening? I am running Mandrake 9.2 with the KDE desktop. Thanks!

I think you should read the topic about
Understanding software Installation

and the way i see it "no makefile found" is that the package isn't ment for
make make install
or you have deleted the file named makefile or the file isn't named makefile, so
make
couldn't find it.

Hope i helped,

C'no

Thanks a lot....that tutorial is really good, and I wish I had seen it earlier....I have spent nearly a month (on and off) trying to figure that out. I still don't know why the make command didn't work, but at least now I have something that explains it so I can try to figure it out.

I really appreciate it!

ok....well, now that I know what to look for, I found the problem....I suppose I have no C compiler.... her is my error:

[root@jonas xmms-1.2.10]# ./configure

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld

checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

checking for gawk... gawk

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes

checking for prefix by checking for xmms... no

checking for gcc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cl... no

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

See `config.log' for more details.

anyone know where I can find a good C complier?

This problem sounds strange since most every version of linux i know of comes with a built in c compiler. To me that was one of linux's biggest advantages because it allows you to mess wiith and tweak pretty much the whole os and most software. What i would suggest is go to ayorpms.com or someplace similar an grip up apt-get. grab an rpm version.

then do this:

rpm -Uvh /the/file/and/path/here

this install apt-get which if youve been readin the boards you know is a great software installer. once u have it installed do this

apt-get update

apt-get dist-upgrade

what that does is check your system for iinstalled software ,then it upgrades and adds most of the common prgrams out there.

I hope thishelps, im still pretty new to linux myself but i found it to be an invaluable tool. if this doesnt help you'll need someone like anyweb grep420 or hijinx to help ya, these guys reallly know their shit.

good luck

tek