Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi I am new to the forum and will be new to Linux

I know this has been asked before but has anyone successfully connected to AOL broadband via Linux. I am in UK and have the BT Voyager USB modem.

I really need to be able to use this connection on the O/S i choose.

Also is it simple enough to access files from what will be my Windows XP partition? I have an ntfs file system and although I know Linix distributions dont primarily support this, is it difficult to fix as this is quite important to me too!

Any other advice on which distribution to use, and generalk advice before I make the big step will be appreciated. I am a pretty technical buff so dont feel that you need to simplify, I can the truth dudes.

Thanks all and I look forward to speaking in the near future.

:)

hi and welcome

first off, i'd recommend you start with dualbooting winxp (if you have windows) and then install Fedora Core Release 1 on a separate partition or hard disc,

that way you can boot to either windows or linux depending on your mood.

install windows first, then linux, and let GRUB manage the boot loader

let us know what you decide and welcome to the forums

cheers

anyweb

will i be able to access my ntfs partition from my fedora partition??

as for the aol issue i may have to wait til i move to an area that has access to an isp that works with linux. know any good ones???

yes you can read ntfs partitions in linux we have a howto right here

i'm in sweden so I can't advise you where to move or what isp to get, wait until someone from your area can advise.,

btw, where are you from ?

and how did you find this site ?

cheers

anyweb

I am from manchester. I am student of computing and am familiar with redhat but dont like it so much (especially without internet access).

your site came up as a search while i was trying to figure out which linux release would be for me.

i have decided upon fedora core 1 and currently dowloading it.

the site is great and have just bookmarked you on my new mozilla firebird browser!!

thanks for all your help anyway.

I shall donate when i have a few quid to spare!! :)

good stuff, nice to see you here and i hope you enjoy Fedora,

i used it every day and i love it

cheers

anyweb