Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up a file/media server

So, I was taking out my stuff from my mother's attic the other week and found my first computer. It's a Intel Celeron @ 500mhz, 128mb (looking to remedy that), 4.75gb HDD, cd drive. I'll be adding a 320gb HDD in it as well. I was just wondering what would be the best Linux distro, and programs would be best to put on it?

I'm looking into as many of these little features as possible (listed in importance):

• Headless machine

• File storage

• Media server stream my music to my computers and Xbox 360

• Remote file access

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's a matter of personal preference which distro you want to use. I would start out with ubuntu(8.04 since you have an older machine. more recent versions of ubuntu take more graphics) or fedora. Debian is also a good distro, try this link. You can use vnc or ssh to take control your machine from another pc and you can use ftp(using ftp client such as filezilla) to transfer files to your linux box. For storage sharing over a network you can use samba file server, for streaming music you can use ushare And google has alot of information on these things too :)I use google alot too :)Hope that helps you out some.
You might try the Puppy linux distro's. They are super light and easy to live with.