Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Mint 11 RC released

Quote:Clement Lefebvre has announced that the release candidate for Linux Mint 11 is ready for download and testing: "The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 11 'Katya' RC. Linux Mint 11 comes with updated software and brings refinements and new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use. Linux Mint 11 comes as a live DVD. A live CD is also available for people without a DVD burner or distributors established in the USA and Japan. The live CD comes with fewer applications, no multimedia codecs and no restricted software, making it fit within 700 MB and safely distributable in countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software." See the release announcement and the what's new page for more information.

Read More

--

I'm quite a fan of Linux Mint -- it takes Ubuntu and then (the DVD release) adds all the non-free stuff you probably also want, like Flash, a number of video codecs and so on. Happily using LM10 on my desktop right now.

I don't think it will ship with Ubuntu 11.04's new Unity interface, of which I am a fan, though, so we shall see in which direction I go to upgrade!

You tried this on a netbook at all? I've been using ubuntu on my tower since v10, but heard some offputting things about unity in v11.

Also heard some good stuff myself about mint. I may give it a go instead of UB11.

Quote:You tried this on a netbook at all? I've been using ubuntu on my tower since v10, but heard some offputting things about unity in v11.

Also heard some good stuff myself about mint. I may give it a go instead of UB11.

Don't have any experience on a netbook, I'm afraid, but its high level compatibility with stock Ubuntu implies that anything that runs Ubuntu should also be quite happy with Linux Mint. LM's interface is a little different to both Unity and Ubuntu's traditional Applications / Places / System menu, but I've become quite familiar with it.