Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialing over wired connection
I am quite new to ubuntu, and i am using ubuntu 10.04. My ISP provides me a cable (Lan) to connecto to the net, In windows i just used to dial over a connection and provide my username and password. How can i dial a connection in ubuntu. Dialing takes place over lan cable (Not telephone line). plz help and i dont use any kind of router or modem, the line comes directly from ISP's pole.

Not sure I understand the question - if you're provided with a LAN cable, surely it's just a matter of plugging it into the network port of your machine?

What software did you use in windows in which you needed to provide a username/pass?

I messed up the default settings of the wired network connection. I connect to the internet using dsl modem using pppoe. Modem is kept as access point. all i had to do is just plug in the cable. But i messed up the default settings by trying to provide manual ip. now i cannot connect to the modem/internet using my nic card (wired) whereas i can connect to the internet using wireless via same modem. plz tell me how can i configure network settings to connect it automatically via wired connection.
Do you have a "network applet" icon in your ubuntu toolbar (somewhere top-right)? I know some configuration settings are setup in there.
I can access the network settings via systems>preferences>networks settings. but what is wrong