Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless card not detected / installed

One more thing if it helps to help... i ran iwlist scanning and i got this output which shows network is detected.

lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :

Cell 01 - Address: 00:04:ED:94:D2:20

Channel:1

Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)

Quality=48/70 Signal level=-62 dBm

Encryption key:on

ESSID:"vikhome"

Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s

Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s

36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

Mode:Master

Extra:tsf=00000000e18d7aec

Extra: Last beacon: 1636ms ago

IE: Unknown: 000776696B686F6D65

IE: Unknown: 010482848B96

IE: Unknown: 030101

IE: Unknown: 2A0104

IE: Unknown: 32080C1218243048606C

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Interface doesn't support scanning.

okay. Firstly, in your above screen dump, my button is greyed out until all information is entered - you may need to add a "." into your search domains to enable it.

Secondly, iwlist shows: ESSID:"vikhome" so it's clear there's an SSID detected. I'm wondering how that network can be selected graphically.

i reinstalled ubuntu and it worked fine but when i restarted my pc the same problem presists. the network manager icon is even not shown in panel above. reaaly confused

one more recent discovery

i used an external wifi adapter (borrowed frm my friend) and now everything works fine. so is the driver at fault here for my internal card (intel 3945abg). dhcp also supported

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2010/post-6054-12772783305669.png" data-fileid="1274">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2010/post-6054-12772783305669.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot.png (Size: 1.11 MB / Downloads: 0)

okay.. good to hear you got it all working finally, but annoyed to hear it was an unsupported hardware issue.

Hmm.. interesting: from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseNotes:

"On laptops with Intel 3945 or Intel 4965 wireless chipsets and a killswitch for the wireless antenna, starting the system with the killswitch enabled (i.e., with wireless disabled) will prevent re-enabling the wireless by toggling the killswitch. As a workaround, users should boot the system with the killswitch disabled. For more information see bug 193970. A future kernel update is expected to address this issue. "

Seems it's a known issue in earlier Ubuntu.. but still not fixed...?

I'm a real novice but I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 alongside Windows Vista on my ancient laptop which had slowed down to a screeching halt. Of course, Ubuntu is very simple and quick so it solved all my problems except one important one:

No wireless connection!

I click on the icon to try to view potential networks to connect to but it's not even an option. Just wired networks only. The Broadcom STA Wireless driver was automatically installed upon installation but apparently it's not cutting it. I've reinstalled several times and tried installing other drivers listed on these forums but I think my ignorance of Ubuntu and all things related to CLI holds me back from fixing it correctly.

Btw, Windows Vista still connects to my wireless network just fine as it always did.

Quote:Btw, Windows Vista still connects to my wireless network just fine as it always did.
That shows that it's not a hardware problem, so good on that front.

I'd advise interrogating the hardware on Vista to gather as much information about the card as you can - mainly things like vendor IDs, strange model numbers, driver names, etc.

Then bang those numbers into google with "ubuntu" and you may find a module (driver) that's listed.

FWIW: I've had a similar issue many years ago, couldn't get a certain 3Com (3C900) card working under RedHat - RH detected the card, but auto-selected the wrong driver (3c5x9). I researched the problem and someone suggested trying the "vortex" driver: 3c59x. I forced selection to that one and... it worked perfectly. Again, this was only possible by getting as much HW info as I could.

When you're next in ubuntu, try the "dmesg" command and see what info comes up about your network card. I know there was an issue one time where networking would start before PCMCIA slot initialisation, meaning that ubuntu didn't see the inactive card. Not certain that issue is still present, but "dmesg" highlighted that issue for me.