Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update-notifier finds updates but fails to install them

I've just begun to use Linux, and have chosen PCLinuxOS. There's an update-notifier which lists 787 updates available but the install seems to not do anything. Can you help me figure this out? My alternative would be to turn the notifier off, but then I still don't have the updates.

Here's what happens:

I found the update-notifier and thought it would be smart to have that running, in order to stay up to date.

<ol style="list-style-type:decimal;">[*]When PCLinuxOS boots, the notifier tells me there are 787 packages in need of updating.

[*]When I choose "install updates", it will perform some actions, but on the next boot, it starts back at step 1.

[*]What it actually does is this: it first downloads 1 file, then 11 more in a separate step.

[*]Then there's a popup "mark additional changes?" and a list of packages to remove and packages to update, and buttons named "Close" and "Mark". I choose "Mark".

[*]Lots of files are being downloaded (9 of 787 etc...). This takes about half an hour @800kbps.

[*]Then there's a popup "synaptic is done" (OK).

[*]And then, the update-notifier tells me again that there are 787 packages in need of updating. O_o ?

</ol>

Either I'm not doing this right, or something is broken. Can you point me to what I should do next?

Your answers will be much appreciated, and I will report back on my (hopefully) success.

Thank you!

which version of PCLinuxOS are you using, I can try and test it here

I did do 30 days with PCLinuxOS but it was a year ago or so

Quote:which version of PCLinuxOS are you using
I'm using 2009.2, this should be the latest available version. I would really appreciate if you can figure out what's up. Thanks!

I've now uninstalled the "update-notifier" since I can't get it to work.

Case closed.

sorry i'll try and take a look at pclinuxos again soon, its all about time and i dont have much of that lately

Quote:its all about time and i dont have much of that lately
Oh I know that feeling! I'd be thankful for any inputs you can offer - even if it takes some time. I'm a patient man.

Thanks and regards!

- TorbenGB

I'm not familiar with that distro, so don't take this as authoritative advice, but...

All Linux/Unix OSen I've used are pretty good at logging: check files in /var/log to see if there's any activity logged in there. I tend to look in the "messages" file (if one exists), then go hunting for other files that could be associated with that particular operation.

I know of many services that are silent to the desktop, but will still log activity - and unless those files are checked, any actions could go missed.