Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need repositories?

Hello,

I'm about to be a new linux user! I am currently in the process of installing Yellow Dog 6.1 on my PS3.

During the installation I was given the opportunity to specify any repositories I wanted to include.

Now I don't even know what a repository does, would there be a windows analogy somebody could relate?

I chose not to install any, but I noticed there was an option to install repositories at a later time.

I found this thread, but didn't find it very helpful:

https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2417

Thanks for any help!

~laz

A repository is a location, usually a server on the internet, from which you can download extra bits of software and software updates for your system. Unlike in Windows, you download most Linux software from a central location (the repository), rather than getting software from different companies and websites.

You usually have a program called a package manager which automates the downloading and installation of the software from the repository. This contrasts to Windows, where you tend to have to go and hunt down the program yourself, and then run an installer that is specific to that application.

So, if you later find you want to install a specific piece of Linux software, you would enable a repository which has the software you want, and instruct your package manager to automatically download the software from the

Quote:A repository is a location, usually a server on the internet, from which you can download extra bits of software and software updates for your system. Unlike in Windows, you download most Linux software from a central location (the repository), rather than getting software from different companies and websites.

You usually have a program called a package manager which automates the downloading and installation of the software from the repository. This contrasts to Windows, where you tend to have to go and hunt down the program yourself, and then run an installer that is specific to that application.

So, if you later find you want to install a specific piece of Linux software, you would enable a repository which has the software you want, and instruct your package manager to automatically download the software from the ‘repo’ and install it for you.

It’s a whole different concept, but in some ways it’s a lot simpler than how Windows does it. Well, assuming the software you want is available… :)

Ah, thanks for the reply.

I found a good repository for YLD6.1 targeted towards PS3 functionality, including a guide, for anyone :

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodega...?f=11&t=21

yum install snes9x-gtk, too easy :)