Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knoppix 5.1 boot issue

Hi all!

This is my first post, and my second linux distro. I started with Ubuntu, liked it, but had to scrap it due to the fact that I'm a total noob, and right now I don't have the time to get it working juuust right. So I'm back to WinXP on my desktop.

However, I've decided to put Knoppix on my laptop. It installs just fine, but at boot-up, I get the lading screen, and a message telling me "no block devices found" . WTF is going on?

The laptop (a Toshiba Satellite 1800-S253) is about 8 years old, has only 128MB RAM, and I don't really know any of the other specs. My fiancee has graciously allowed me to appropriate it for my tabletop gaming usage. (BTW, totally off-topic, but D&D 4.0 is just WoW on paper.)

If anyone has any information that could assist me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

try a laptop with at least 256mb ram or forget knoppix and try dam small linux instead for such an old laptop

cheers

anyweb

DBAN'ed my HDD. Tossed in the newest DSL. It's stuck at scanning for partitions. Also, when I did expert setup on knoppix, no controller for my HDD was found. It couldn't be mounted when I got to the X-window system. I'll open the damn thing up and find out just what's in it. I think my HDD is a Samsung MP0804H. I've not found any drivers for it yet. Arg. Come Hel or high water, I'll get it to work.