Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu Noob Seeks Enlightenment

First of all, let me say that I'm an utter noob with Linux. I've worked with Windows my whole life (sad, I know) and am attempting to get on the bandwagon. Ubuntu isn't making it that easy for me, though.

I recently got a Ubuntu LiveCD and am attempting to install it dual-boot with Windows XP. I cleared off a drive and then proceeded to install Ubuntu. However, when the GRUB bootloader comes up and I select Ubuntu, it goes CLI, tells me I'm working in Debian 'ash', and gives me a prompt for commands. I have tried working with the GRUB options menus and with the 'ash' shell. There seems to be no effect - Ubuntu always boots to the ash shell. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your time.

I believe there is a problem with the GRUB configuration. If you had a bit more knowledge I would suggest you to check your GRUB configuration files and kernel locations, however, since you say you are a noob with Linux, I suggest reinstalling Ubuntu. If that still doesn't work, let me know and I'll see about running you through a check of GRUB.

Quote:I believe there is a problem with the GRUB configuration. If you had a bit more knowledge I would suggest you to check your GRUB configuration files and kernel locations, however, since you say you are a noob with Linux, I suggest reinstalling Ubuntu. If that still doesn't work, let me know and I'll see about running you through a check of GRUB.

I've tried a second install with exactly the same result. Before I get into altering the GRUB configuration, I have a few questions about something I did during the first installation. When the partition manager opened, I unmounted and formatted half of my second drive, intending to use it (251 gigs available.) Now I'm not sure how to remount it or if I even need to. I've run diskmount from the LiveCD, and it reports that I have no files to mount - but the half-drive I'd like to use has a status of 'not mounted'. Once more, thanks for your time.