Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to install files that don't end in rpm

Quote:Well, the first problem is now solved and we're running into a different beast now. 

The problem you're now getting is that you don't have a compiler installed. A compiler takes the source code of the program (in this case, the Wine source that you downloaded) and converts it into a binary program file that your computer can run.

The compiler that we use most often on Linux is called gcc, so we want to install that alongside a few other tools we'll need to build the program. You can install those by running the following command as root in a terminal:

Code:
yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

<div>

or if you prefer you can use the graphical software install tools to install the whole Development Tools packages.

Once this install is complete, try running ./configure again. It might work straight from there, or we'll have the next error message to solve. :)

</div>

I'm having some difficulty because I don't have an internet connection in my home. I believe all the development tools are on my install dvd. GCC is for sure and it's in a 40mb folder called Development Tools. Is there another alternative to YUM?

Is it possible to set up your local DVD as a repository for yum - it will then be able to install packages from there but also do the clever stuff like resolving dependencies automatically.

I haven't done this myself, so I can't advise an awful lot, but there is a guide on doing this at http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages. The Fedora 7 specific stuff is http://www.city-fan.org/tips/SubsetRepositoriesFedora7.

It is unfortunately quite complex to do. :(

Alternatively, you could try installing the RPMs directly from the DVD media:

Code:
rpm -Uvh /path/to/package.rpm

However, this way, you may run into some problems with package x wanting package y installed first.