Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Emacs] Shortcut to close a window containing a buffer in emacs?
I have just started using Emacs as an IDE. What I would like to do is this: I would like to compile a file(using M-x Compile which opens a new window showing errors/success) and then if there are no errors I want to close the newly opened window containing the buffer named *compilation*(using a single command sequence) so that the whole frame layout is back to what it was before. I don't think there's an inbuilt key-combination to do this, does somebody have any ideas how I can achieve this using some macro or something ?

Quote:I have just started using Emacs as an IDE. What I would like to do is this: I would like to compile a file(using M-x Compile which opens a new window showing errors/success) and then if there are no errors I want to close the newly opened window containing the buffer named *compilation*(using a single command sequence) so that the whole frame layout is back to what it was before. I don't think there's an inbuilt key-combination to do this, does somebody have any ideas how I can achieve this using some macro or something ?

Hi, try this:

add this line to ~/.emacs

(global-set-key (kbd "<f9>") 'compile)

so you can compile by pressing F9

to get rid of the compile messages, type ESC three times:

ESC ESC ESC

kind regards,

Thanks, it works!

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="12647" data-ipsquote-username="Schneidel" data-cite="Schneidel" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="3604" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have just started using Emacs as an IDE. What I would like to do is this: I would like to compile a file(using M-x Compile which opens a new window showing errors/success) and then if there are no errors I want to close the newly opened window containing the buffer named *compilation*(using a single command sequence) so that the whole frame layout is back to what it was before. I don't think there's an inbuilt key-combination to do this, does somebody have any ideas how I can achieve this using some macro or something ?

Hi, try this:

add this line to ~/.emacs

(global-set-key (kbd "<f9>") 'compile)

so you can compile by pressing F9

to get rid of the compile messages, type ESC three times:

ESC ESC ESC

kind regards,

</div></blockquote>